Working out from home is almost a necessity these days. And what so many people are realizing is that it can actually be far more convenient and just as effective as going to the gym.
However, there are a couple of problems that many are running into as they navigate setting up their home gym; space and budget. Most of us have a limited amount of space to dedicate to a home gym as well as a limited budget.
But do you really need to purchase a ton of equipment? The answer is no because we have smart gyms now. All-in-one connected home smart gyms are revolutionizing the way we work out from home and today I am comparing two of the top brands.
JaxJox and Tempo both offer interactive home studios that come complete with all the equipment you need to get a great workout from the comfort of your own home, but which one is the best. In this battle between two similar brands, I’m going to give you the information you need to decide which home gym wins.
Why Choose a Smart Home Gym?
COVID-19 with all its pitfalls has also brought to many a silver lining, and that comes in the form of a renewed vigor for personal health and fitness. While we were already seeing a shift towards fitness, and home fitness in particular (thank, Peloton), the pandemic has accelerated that growth.And there’s been plenty of data released lately showing that many previous die hard gym-goers aren’t planning to go back. Why? Because they’ve discovered gym equipment and apps that allow them to achieve the same results but from the comfort of their own homes.
Here are some of the most compelling reasons to invest in a smart home studio:
It’s so convenient
Even before COVID shutdowns, finding the time to get out the door and head to the gym each week is tough. So tough, that many skip their workouts. You have less excuses when your gym is right in your living room. No driving, no dealing with other gym-goers hogging the equipment, and no hassle.
They feature high-quality equipment
Think you can only experience heavy-duty equipment within a gym? Think again. Smart home gyms like Tempo and JaxJox feature heavy-duty, gym-grade equipment that’s meant to last.
It’s like having a personal trainer without the cost
Ever wished you could afford a personal trainer? Now you can and they’ll show up in your living room on your schedule. Through AI technology, you can experience the benefit of personal training on-demand.
There’s no guesswork
Want to get in shape, lose weight, or build muscle, but have no idea where to start? You’re not alone! Smart gyms and their dedicated programming take all the guesswork out of fitness for you. You receive personalized guidance and training programs that spell it all out for - it’ll even count your reps for you!
You get to experience connection
One of the hardest things about not physically leaving your home to go to the gym or to attend a fitness class is missing out on the community and connection with others that we all need and crave. This is where the programming of these home studios come into play. You’re part of a digital community that can be just as fulfilling, even more so, than physically being present with others.
Tempo Studio Vs. Jaxjox InteractiveStudio Compared
Take a look at the table below, a head-to-head comparison of both smart gyms, so that you can best decide which one is the best option for your personal style and needs.
$2495 (starter), $3245 (Plus), $3995 (Pro)
43” rotating screen
Equipment Included with Pro Pack:
2 7.5 lb. dumbbells
2 25 Lb. Plates
2 45 Lb. Plates
Foldable Squat Rack
Weight plate storage
Kettlebell Connect 2.0, Dumbbell Connect, Foam Roller, Smart Pushup Bar
Yes, real-time form correction using 3D sensors
60w stereo speakers Bluetooth enabled
20w surround soundbar
Live & on-demand classes - Strength training, cardio, HIIT, mobility, recovery, yoga, boxing, pilates
Live & On-demand class - Strength training, cardio, recovery
Personalized programming & progression?
3D motion sensors?
Yes, giving a 3D rendering of your body
Cabinet included for convenient weight storage + racks for bars
Racks for equipment
Height 6'| Width 2'2"| Depth 1'4"| Weight 100 LBS
L 908 mm | W 706 mm | H 2124 mm | Weight 142 LBS
Not at this time, check back later!
Like watching video reviews? Here's my newest comparison of these two smart home gyms over at the Fit Healthy Momma YouTube Channel, come on over and subscribe! Also, come join our Facebook group where you won't miss the latest deals and awesome home gym products!
Key Similarities and Differences Between JaxJox and Tempo
As you can see from the chart above, these interactive home gyms systems are similar, but they are not identical. So here are a few key similarities and differences to keep in mind as you choose which smart gym makes the most sense for you.
Similarities between the two smart gym systems
- Feature a large, HD screen for workout streaming and live tracking
- Are strength-training based
- Are compact and include storage for weights and accessories
- Provide rep counting
- Allow you to progress safely and efficiently towards your goals
- Feature a library of live and on-demand classes to choose from
- Allow you to train with expert trainers
- Tempo uses plates and dumbbells/a barbell for weight adjustment, JaxJox uses their smart dumbbells and kettlebell which adjust automatically to new resistance levels.
- Tempo has a larger variety of classes to choose from, including more cross-training options.
- Tempo includes 3D sensors that create a virtual rendering of your body that allows their coaches to provide real-time form correction and adjustments.
The Tempo Studio (Home Gym) Overview
Tempo is the ultimate home gym experience for those looking to strength train. Between its sleek design and handy storage, it’s a piece of equipment that you’ll proudly display anywhere in your home. There are three curated accessory bundles to choose from, allowing you to customize what accessories and equipment you get with your studio.
As mentioned in my complete analysis and detailed Tempo review, it features everything you need to get a great workout from home, including Olympic weights and equipment. Perhaps one of the best and most innovative features of this machine is the 3D sensors and form correction.
Tempo Studio creates a 3D rendering of your body, allowing your coaches to provide you with form feedback and reminders throughout your workout to make sure that you’re exercising safely and efficiently. This is a feature that’s unique to this machine and one that’s making the experience as close to having a live personal trainer in your live room as possible.
The class selection is extensive and you can choose from live and on-demand options, filtering by workout style, time, instructor, and more. The workouts are fun, challenging, motivational, and progressive as you get stranger.
- Beautiful, non-obtrusive design
- 3 customizable bundles to choose from
- Personalized weight selections
- Tons of workouts to choose from
- Awesome, motivating instructors
- Giant HD screen
- Rep counting and form correction
- You can now purchase heavier plates to accommodate muscle and strength gains and advanced lifters
- Sometimes the sensors miss reps if you’re too far away
- Can be laggy if your internet connection is slow
The JaxJox Smart Gym Overview
JaxJox’s InteractiveStudio is brand new to the market and it’s already making a big splash. Previously, the company was well-known for its smart kettlebell, another exciting addition to the fitness industry. Today, they’re combining their smart equipment with their studio to create an all-in-one gym that’s designed to help you reach all your goals from home.
Based on my detailed research of the JaxJox interactive studio, the studio features a large HD screen that can rotate horizontally or vertically and can even tilt down for optimal viewing from the floor. The tilting screen has many advantages, including the ability to split the screen and have two people workout at the same time.
The equipment is very simple and very easy to use, however, it’s a bit bulky, which is ok - especially for those who want to be able to push their weights and access higher weight ranges. The design is simple, but a little less discreet as the dumbbells and kettlebell are displayed front and center.
The programming is excellent. Again, the main focus is on strength-training, but they also offer some other modalities that allow you to mix up your routine and achieve an all-around balanced workout. They even have skills classes that allow you to learn and perfect your movement before diving into a workout.
- Innovative, simple design
- Very few pieces of equipment needed
- Weight tracking and progression
- Personalized programming
- Tons of live and on-demand workouts to choose from
- Expert trainers
- Easy to use smart equipment that can be taken anywhere and used with the app
- Rep counting
- It’s a little bulkier looking/not as discrete
- It’s a fairly new brand so not a lot of information out there yet
- Might not be beginner-friendly as the weights are pretty heavy
What's The Best Smart Home Gym: Tempo vs. JaxJox?
In the battle between Tempo and the JaxJox InteractiveStudio, there really is no clear winner as you can’t go wrong with either. Both are exceptional machines that provide a ton of value and make the perfect addition to your home gym.
That said, you only need one, so here’s how I see it:
Choose Tempo over JaxJox if -
- You’re someone who wants a machine that fits seamlessly anywhere in your home.
- You’re anywhere from a beginner to an advanced lifter who wants to progress your skills and get stronger.
- You value good old fashioned dumbbells and barbells.
- You like a variety with your workouts - using a variety of modalities to train the total body.
- You want the option to have a full gym experience, including a bench and squat rack, at your disposal.
- You want the closest experience you can get to having a personal trainer in your living room.
Choose JaxJox Over Tempo if -
- You’re an intermediate to an advanced lifter who needs a solid strength-training system for your home.
- You like the idea of smart equipment that’s easy to adjust on the fly.
- You have a dedicated home gym area and don’t mind looking at a bulkier piece of equipment.
- You want to be able to workout with a partner, taking advantage of the split screens.
Wrapping up, I am a huge fan of both of these home gyms and I think that no which one you choose, you’re going to be blown away with the technology and experience you’ll get. The most important thing to keep in mind is that fitness should be fun and sustainable! So take some time to check out both systems and make the decision that’s best for you and your needs.