Is there anything worse than feeling like you’re out of control of your body? That’s what menopause feels like for many women.
Hot flashes and night sweats are two of the most commonly experienced menopause symptoms, and they’re crippling for many women. In fact, research from Johns Hopkins shows that about 75% of all women experience these brief, periodic increases in body temperature that leave them feeling beyond hot and bothered.
A hot flash does much more than increase your body temperature, it can also increase your heart rate. With an increased heart rate, your body will begin to perspire in an attempt to reduce its temperature. As a result, many women experience heart palpitations and dizziness alongside their hot flashes.
And we can’t forget about the night sweats. Night sweats occur when you experience a hot flash during the night. For most women, night sweats result in uncomfortable sleep, lack of sleep, and the need to periodically get up and completely change their clothing and bedding.
It’s evident that hot flashes and night sweats are a real issue, but what can we do about them? In this article, our team of Registered Dietitians, Nutritionists, and Women’s Wellness Experts identified the best supplements for hot flashes and night sweats so that you can find the relief you deserve and get back to living life to the fullest.
Stacking Up Our Top Supplements for Night Sweats and Hot Flashes
1. Opositiv Meno
Ashwagandha, Black Cohosh, Chasteberry, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D3
2. Provitalize Hot Flash Bundle
Black Cohosh, Dong Quai, Moringa Leaf Extract, Magnesium, Melatonin
$89 (2 supplements)
3. HUM Fan Club
Siberian rhubarb, patented probiotics, grape seed extract
4. Bonafide Relizen
Purified Cytoplasmic Blend, maltrodextrin, magnesium stearate
5. Giddy Health Menopause Support
Panax Ginseng, Pueraria Mirifica, Black Cohosh, Grape Skin Extract
6. Semaine Menopause Essentials
Red Clover, Olive Extract, Bergamot Phytosome
7. Eu Natural Staying Cool Hot Flash & Menopause Relief
Vitex, Black Cohosh, Ashwagandha
8. Nested Naturals Menopause Complete Herbal Care
Black Cohosh, Milk Thistle, Chamomile, Dong Quai
What Causes Hot Flashes?
Hot flashes are caused by the fluctuations in your hormones, most specifically before, during, and after menopause. Researchers aren’t sure exactly how hormonal changes cause hot flashes, however, most research indicates that hot flashes occur when estrogen levels decrease, which causes your hypothalamus to become more sensitive to changes in body temperature. When your hypothalamus thinks that your body is overheating, it starts a chain of events to cool you down, this is where the hot flashes originate.
While it’s not impossible to experience hot flashes and night sweats outside of menopause, it’s less likely. There are some situations where other causes present as is the case with certain medications, cancers, and when you have an issue with your thyroid.
What Are the Symptoms?
The frequency and severity of hot flashes will differ from woman to woman. For some, a single hot flash will last only a minute or two, and for others, it can last as long as five minutes. Furthermore, they’ll vary in intensity, too. Some might come on and be relatively mild, while others are so disruptive that you’re forced to stop your daily activities.
Hot flashes can come anytime, day or night. When a hot flash hits at nighttime, this is referred to as “night sweats” and it might wake you up from sleep and can even cause long-term sleep disruptions.
How do you know if you’re experiencing a hot flash? Oh, you’ll know! But here are the most common symptoms of menopausal hot flashes:
- A sudden sensation of warmth that spreads through your chest, neck, and face
- A red or flushed appearance and potentially blotchy skin
- Rapid heartbeat
- Perspiration typically focused on your upper body
- A chilly feeling as the hot flash recedes
- Anxious feelings
With all that information under our belts, let’s talk about what our supplement options are for treating and/or preventing hot flashes and night sweats.
Our Top Supplements For Hot Flashes and Night Sweats
Finding a supplement to help quell your hot flashes and/or night sweats that actually provides results isn’t always easy. There are a lot of options, and in the largely unregulated supplement industry, there’s, unfortunately, a lot of junk to weed thru out there.
Our team of nutrition and women’s wellness experts takes pride in our effects to deliver to you the best, most powerful solutions for your most pressing issues, with hot flashes and night sweats being some of your biggest and most uncomfortable concerns. The following options were hand-picked by us and passed our rigorous standards.
1. MENO by OPositiv
MENO (learn more about the menopause product) is a hormone-free, multi-symptom menopause relief formula that contains Black Cohosh, which has been shown to reduce hot flashes by as much as 85%. This powerful formula is an expert-developed formula that’s fortified with research-backed ingredients for natural and powerful multi-symptom relief.
MENO is clinically formulated to help relieve hot flashes, night sweats, occasional sleeplessness, and mood swings. The following key ingredients make this possible:
Black Cohosh - Used traditionally for thousands of years, this herb has a serotonin-like effect that can impact your body’s temperature-regulating ability, providing you with the relief you so desperately need from your hot flashes and night sweats.
Ashwagandha - Traditionally used to support sexual function, occasional sleeplessness, stress, and brain function.
Chasteberry - Helps to decrease levels of the hormone prolactin which then helps to rebalance other hormones like estrogen and progesterone. This helps to provide relief from mood swings, weight gain, and headaches.
- Natural, proven, and hormone-free ingredients
- Directly targets hot flashes and night sweats
- Helps with occasional sleeplessness, mood swings, and hormonal weight gain
- Easy to swallow capsules
- Vegan, soy-free, gluten-free
- Affordable monthly cost
- A great female-focused brand with a whole line of amazing, effective products
- As a newer product, there aren’t a ton of user reviews and testimonials yet
The hot flash bundle by Better Body Co. consists of Provitalize and inergy sleep. Both products combined have the necessary ingredients to help with hot flashes and night sweats. Those ingredients include Dong Quai, Turmeric Root Extract, Valerian Root, Moringa Leaf Extract, Chamomile, Curry Leaf Extract, Black Cohosh. There's also Iron, GABA, Magnesium, L-theanine, and Melatonin that supplement the body with the essential nutrients it needs for peaceful, uninterrupted sleep.
- Specifically created for hot flashes and night sweats
- Made with all-natural ingredients
- Some customers have seen results in just 2 weeks
- The unique blend of probiotic strains in Provitalize could also help with gut health and menopause weight gain
- Could be too expensive for some, although two supplements at $89 seems reasonable
HUM Fan Club is a multi-symptom menopause support supplement that contains a clinically-studied probiotic formula that addresses the top symptoms of menopause, including hot flashes and night sweats. This unique formula features Siberian rhubarb, patented probiotics, and grape seed extract for maximum symptom relief.
HUM Nutrition’s Fan Club was clinically formulated to reduce and eliminate your most pressing menopause symptoms, including hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, irritability, restlessness, and low sex drive. The following key ingredients help Fan Club to accomplish this:
Siberian rhubarb extract to decrease the severity of hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, fatigue, and irritability.
Patented probiotic blend - Supports your gut-brain axis to improve mood.
Grape seed extract - Provides stress relief support.
- Clinically proven ingredients to help relieve hot flashes and night sweats
- Hormone-free solution
- Clean Label Project Certified
- Helps to balance mood swings, calm irritability, and improve sleep
- Contains a patented probiotic strain that helps support the gut-brain axis
- Gluten-free, non-GMO, third-party tested
- Easy to swallow capsules
- A fantastic female-forward brand with a full lineup of women’s wellness products
- The monthly cost is a tad higher than some alternatives
- It doesn’t contain Black Cohosh which is one of the most effective herbs for hot flashes
Relizen is a powerful natural supplement that provides real relief from menopausal hot flashes and night sweats so you can stay cool and dry all day and night. Bonafide created a product specifically for the intense hot flashes that so many women deal with for months, even years. Plus, Relizen helps to reduce fatigue, calm irritability, and improve sleep.
Relizen is naturally powerful and scientifically proven to help women reduce symptoms and occurrences of hot flashes and night sweats. In fact, in studies, 75% of women experienced less frequent, less intense hot flashes by month 3. Bonafide helps women achieve these results thanks to their plant-based Exclusive Bonadide Pollen which unlocks the unique healing benefits of pollen from four specific plants grown in Sweden.
- 75% of women using Relizen experienced relief from their hot flashes
- Clinically proven ingredients
- Safe, natural, and plant-based
- Helps to regulate your body’s natural internal temperature system
- Small, easy-swallow pill
- Highly respected women’s health/menopause management brand
- Results take 2-3 months to come into full effect
- Only 68% of women in studies experienced less frequent and intense night sweats by month 3
Giddy Health, in partnership with Rootine, developed a precisely formulated menopause support vitamin that helps the body through menopausal symptoms by balancing your hormones. With 400+ clinical results and decades of scientific expertise behind Giddy’s menopause supplement, it’s safe to say that Giddy’s product is one of the best.
While this supplement certainly targets hot flashes and night sweats, it also helps to boost mood and cognitive function, improve markers of menopause, and support a healthy hormonal profile for a well-rounded, comprehensive approach to menopause care. The following key ingredients help to accomplish this:
Black Cohosh - Helps to ease symptoms of menopause, particularly, hot flashes and night sweats.
Pueraria Mirifica - This is another natural supplement that helps specifically with hot flash reduction.
Panax Ginseng - Helps to support your mood and overall well-being throughout your menopausal journey.
- Highly targeted menopause-specific vitamin
- Microbead capsule design helps to provide the most optimized nutrient delivery
- Sustained release for maximum absorption and blood level maintenance
- Third-party tested for purity and potency
- Contains black cohosh and Pueraria Mirifica for hot flashes and night sweats
- Renowned sexual health brand with quality products that work
- It’s a newer brand, so there aren’t a ton of user reviews and testimonials
- The monthly cost is slightly elevated when compared to competitors
Semaine Health’s Menopause Essentials help you keep your cool both mentally and physically, kicking your hot flashes, night sweats, mood swing, weight gain, and anxiety to the curb. Menopause Essentials put a big emphasis on helping you to regain control of your hormonal health so you can experience much-needed relief from night sweats and hot flashes.
The Semaine Health team spends hundreds of hours pouring over clinical trial research and data, finding the exact combination of plants and herbs that will provide real relief for real menopause symptoms. For their Menopause Essentials formula, Semaine Health uses the following key ingredients:
Red Clover Extract - This plant is particularly high in isoflavones and phytoestrogens that have been shown to help with menopausal symptoms, specifically with hot flashes, night sweats, and mood changes.
Olive Extract - This ingredient was specifically chosen to help support your skin health, which can take a major hit during menopause. Olive extract can help your skin to maintain moisture and reduce visible signs of aging.
Bergamot Phytosome - This ingredient has been clinically studied to help support proper metabolism and healthy levels of lipids in your blood, this helps to keep your metabolism running optimally and your weight in check during menopause.
- Helps to decrease hot flashes and night sweats
- Supports skin health and sleep during menopause
- Improves mood
- Clinically studied ingredients that are proven effective
- Plant-based, hormone-free
- Users notice an improvement in symptoms within days of use
- There’s only one ingredient that specifically addressed the symptom of hot flashes and night sweats
- There aren’t a lot of user reviews yet to get feedback from
Eu Natural’s Staying Cool Hot Flash & Menopause Relief supplement contains a research-backed combination of flowering plants and extracts that are shown to help manage hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, vaginal dryness, excess weight gain, and inconsistent sleep.
This supplement from Eu Natural is designed specifically for women dealing with hot flashes and night sweats, helping them to feel better and feel more like themselves again. The key ingredients inside Staying Cool Hot Flash & Menopause Relief include:
- Organic KSM-66 Ashwagandha Extract
- Chaste Tree Berry
- Black Cohosh Root
- Shatavari Extract
- Magnolia Extract
- St. John’s Wort
- Pueraria Mirifica Extract
- Designed specifically for hot flash and night sweat relief
- A highly potent mix of plant-based ingredients that are clinically shown to improve menopause symptoms
- Helps to manage a wide range of menopause symptoms
- Super clean ingredients, no fillers or contaminants
- Blended in the USA
- Trusted brand with a full line of wellness products
- Affordable monthly cost
- Hundreds of positive reviews
- There’s a pretty long ingredient list, so be sure to check and make sure you’re in alignment with all the ingredients
- The capsules are on the larger side
Nested Naturals Menopause Complete Herbal Care is a harmonious blend of herbs that are formulated to support women throughout their menopause journey. This lab-tested blend of ingredients has been shown to ease hot flashes, balance hormones, promote healthy sleep and a relaxed state, and support and maintain your liver.
The key ingredients in Nested Naturals Menopause Complete are targeted toward easing our number one symptom of menopause, hot flashes (and night sweats). To do this, Nested Naturals included the following ingredients inside their unique menopause relief formula:
Black Cohosh and Angelica Root - to help relieve hot flashes and night sweats and balance your hormones.
Chamomile - Has been shown to help promote a more relaxed state and better sleep.
Milk Thistle - Works to support your liver, which is critical for balanced hormones.
- Comprehensive menopause relief
- Two key ingredients (black cohosh and angelica root) directly target hot flashes
- Helps to support your liver
- Promotes calm and relaxation
- Very affordable monthly cost
- Non-GMO, lab-tested, and gluten-free
- Trusted wellness brand with many available products
- We could not locate a lot of reviews for this product specifically
Wrapping Up: Did We Help You Choose The Right Supplement for Hot Flashes and Night Sweats?
Our team of women spans all ages and stages of womanhood, we work hard to bring you the best options for your most pressing needs, especially when it comes to menopause, a topic that’s been largely overlooked in the medical and wellness space for years.
This list features the best OTC supplements for hot flashes and night sweats based on our research and our experience with the brands that make them. Our goal is to help you align with a product that meets your needs and calms your symptoms so that you can get back to living your best life.