Finding the right multivitamin is no easy feat. There are hundreds of options to choose from and each one seems to have its own blend of ingredients. The world of vitamins and minerals is not black and white and there certainly isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution we can assign to every individual. But that’s the exciting part!
As women, there are certain health conditions and time periods in our lives that require us to increase our intake of certain vitamins and minerals, with iron being one of them. If you’re looking for a women’s multivitamin with iron, we put together a list of the top options available right now so that you can align with the one that best suits your unique needs, goals, and budget.
Before we get into those options, though, we’re going to cover the why, what, and how of iron so that you have a clear understanding of it before making a selection. We spoke with industry-leading women’s health experts about iron supplementation so that we can bring you the most accurate and up-to-date information and advice possible.
Should a Women’s Multivitamin Contain Iron?
You’re probably already aware that meeting your iron needs is important, but how well do you really understand the “why” behind this essential nutrient?
Iron is a mineral that’s needed for a variety of functions in the body, with one of the most critical functions being in relation to the production of hemoglobin and myoglobin, a crucial protein in the body. Furthermore, iron also supports the formation of blood cells and energy-yielding metabolism.
How Much Iron Do Women Need?
Women specifically have a higher iron need than men. The NHS recommends that women between the ages of 19-50 get 18 mg of iron per day. However, certain female populations require more or less iron. For example, a woman over the age of 50 has a lower recommended intake of 8 mg per day while women who are pregnant have a higher recommended daily intake of 27 mg per day.
For those women who are over the age of 50, it’s quite possible to get the recommended 8 mg of iron per day through their diet alone. However, women who are pregnant or who are under the age of 50 might find that supplementing their diet with iron is required to meet their daily recommended intake.
Does the Form of Iron Matter?
Not all iron is created equal. In fact, there are two forms of iron: heme and non-heme. Heme iron is found only in animal flesh i.e. meat, poultry, and seafood. Non-heme iron, on the other hand, is mostly found in plants like whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, and leafy green vegetables. Of course, since animals tend to eat plants, you can also find some non-heme iron in animal products as well as fortified foods.When it comes to choosing a multivitamin with iron, our experts recommend looking for one that has a form of iron that’s shown to be gentler on your stomach. For example, amino acid chelate iron has been clinically studied to be a gentle and safe form of iron.
The Best Women’s Multivitamin With Iron
With some additional information in your back pocket, it’s time to take a look at our list of the best multivitamins for women with iron. Our team spent copious amounts of time analyzing the ingredients, verifying the science, and taking a look at the brand as a whole to determine which options make our list.
Ritual offers a clinically-backed multivitamin for women that’s formulated to fill in the nutritional gaps in their diet, including iron. This clinically proven multivitamin is formulated just for women with only 9 essential ingredients, all made traceable thanks to a visible supply chain so that you know exactly what you’re putting into your body.
Plus, they use patented Beadlet in Oil Technology that allows dry and oily ingredients to be together in one capsule. The delayed-release capsules are designed to dissolve later in the small intestine, which is the ideal place to absorb nutrients.
Ritual focuses on helping you to build a stronger foundation for better health, including:
Brain Health - The combination of Omega-3 DHA from microalgae and methylated B12 helps to support the health of your brain.
Bone Health - Calcium-helping nutrients Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Boron help to maintain your bone health.
Blood-Building - With gentle, chelated Iron and methylated Folate, you’ll benefit from increased red blood cell formation.
Antioxidant Support - Vitamin E, sourced from mixed tocopherols, provides antioxidant support to help you fight off free radicals.
- 9 key essential nutrients
- Formulated for women 18-49
- Includes a chelated form of iron that’s gentler on the stomach
- Patented beadlet technology
- Delayed release capsule for optimal absorption
- Essenced with mint to keep fresh and make taking the capsules easy
- Traceable ingredients
- Third-party tested
- Free shipping
- An incredible brand with safe, clean products you can trust
- With only 9 ingredients, be sure you’re getting all your nutritional needs met
- Not ideal for women 50+, however, they have a special formula for that demographic
Base Control from HUM Nutrition contains 22 essential micronutrients designed to supplement your diet + iron to support pre-menopausal women. Each dose of Base Control contains the essential nutrients women need to fill any nutrition gaps in their diet.
HUM added iron to their formula to support your blood cell production, especially for women between the ages of 18-49 whose iron needs are greater than other populations. Each dose requires just one daily easy-to-swallow tablet and the formula is made with clinically proven nutrients that are meticulously tested to ensure their potency, purity, and effectiveness.
All HUM Nutrition products, including Base Control are:
- Verified by independent labs for potency
- Triple tested for purity
- Free of gluten and any artificial sweeteners or colors
- Key ingredients in Base Control include:
- Vitamins A, C, D3, E, B
- Contains the recommended daily amount of iron
- There are 22 total essential nutrients in each dose
- One tablet per day serving
- Helps fill in your nutritional gaps
- Triple tested for purity/3rd party tested
- Gluten-free, non-GMO, and free of artificial ingredients
- A fantastic female brand with a huge selection of supplements
- Very affordable monthly cost
- I am unsure of what form of iron is present in this supplement
- With 22 vitamins, be sure you’re not over-supplementing any one in particular
Daily Bird by Best Nest Wellness is a complete women’s multivitamin with iron and methylated vitamins formulated to support your brain health as well as your energy and vibrancy for life. This brain-boosting, science-backed supplement for women was designed for women who lead an active and healthy lifestyle, helping them to get through their busiest days with ease.
Crafted to be gentle on the stomach and safe to take daily, Best Nest is helping women to feel their best so that they can live the healthiest, most active life possible. Adding Daily Bird to your diet is easy thanks to the easy-to-swallow caplet and the once-daily dose.
All of the ingredients in Daily Bird have been meticulously created and 3rd party tested for purity and potency. The key ingredients inside this multivitamin for women include:
Methyfolate: This is designed to improve neuro-development, improve memory, mood, and energy, and promote more restful sleep.
Iron: Helps to supply oxygen to the body and the brain by attaching to red blood cells. Plus, it helps with red blood cell production, energy, and concentration.
Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B12): Essential for energy production and in the making of serotonin, the feel-good hormone.
- Complete women’s multivitamin with iron
- Supports brain health and energy
- 3rd party tested
- Meant for women who lead an active and healthy lifestyle
- Once daily tablet that’s easy to swallow
- Hundreds of positive reviews
- Highly reputable brand
- The monthly cost is slightly higher than some alternatives
- Long ingredient list - be sure you’re not over-supplementing on any vitamins
Eu Natural’s Multivitamin for Women is formulated with 22 essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that are clinically proven to help fill in the most common nutritional gaps in women under the age of 50.
Eu Natural offers powerful, optimized nutrition to support every facet of women’s health, including immunity, bone and eye health, fertility, skin, energy, metabolism, heart health, and more. Plus, they added in some extra nutrients to support your hormonal health, immunity, and beauty so that you can age gracefully and vibrantly.
- Clean ingredients, no fillers or contaminants
- Crafted by medical and herbal professionals
- 100% potency and lab-verified
- Contains 22 essential vitamins for women under 50
- Contains the recommended daily amount of iron for women
- Helps support all major body systems
- Affordable monthly cost
- Trusted brand made in the USA
- The capsules are on the larger side
- Some extra ingredients might not align with your needs, be sure to fully read the nutrition label
5. Autumn DNA
Not positive that you need to add iron to your daily multivitamin? Autumn will help you find out based on your DNA! Try Autumn is a revolutionary multivitamin brand that’s changing the way we take our vitamins. With Autumn, you don’t need to worry about wasting your money on the wrong supplements each month, they’ll use your DNA to determine what your unique body needs and create your own personalized vitamin routine for you.
Getting started with Autumn is simple, you’ll receive a confidential at-home testing kit which will allow you to give a simple sample of your saliva and send it back to the lab. Once tested, Autumn will combine those results with your lifestyle quiz answers to formulate a personalized supplement routine that caters to your specific needs. Choosing Autumn allows you to have peace of mind that the vitamins you’re taking are actually needed in your body, avoiding the risk of over-supplementation.
- 100% personalized vitamin recommendations
- Iron supplements are available for those who qualify
- Simple saliva test and easy shipping
- Fast results
- Individual vitamin packs for easy daily consumption
- No worrying about over supplementation
- Clinically proven vitamins and minerals used
- Great brand with high reviews
- You are required to take two packs of vitamins per day, which increases the chances of forgetting or missing a dose
- The monthly cost is higher than some alternatives (although worth it for the customization and peace of mind)
Is It Safe to Take Multivitamins With Iron?
Yes, for women between the ages of 18-49, taking a multivitamin with iron is safe and recommended for some populations of women. However, Iron and certain other vitamins can cause serious or life-threatening side effects if taken in large doses, so be sure that the multivitamin with iron that you choose contains the recommended daily dosage for women.
Do not take any more than the recommended dose as indicated on the label or prescribed by your doctor. If you have other medical conditions or are taking any medications, always check with your doctor before starting a multivitamin with iron regime.
Are There Any Side Effects to be Expected?
Starting a new multivitamin that contains iron might cause a few side effects, however, these are rare and often not long-lasting:
- Constipation and/or diarrhea
- Nausea, vomiting, heartburn
- Stomach upset
- Dark stools and/or urine
- Temporary teeth staining
- Unpleasant taste in your mouth
Final Thoughts on Choosing a Multivitamin With Iron For Women
If you’re looking for a multivitamin designed for women that contain iron, there are a handful of very solid options for you out there. Of course, you could always add an iron supplement to your current vitamin routine, but having it built into the formula makes it that much easier and more efficient.
Iron provides our bodies with a ton of benefits, and if you’re not getting the amount you need from your diet alone or if you’re in a population that has higher iron needs, taking a women’s multivitamin with iron is a great way to ensure your iron levels are where they need to be so that you’re feeling your best from the inside out.