Gas and bloating: two words that no one wants to hear, especially paired together. But the truth is that both gas and bloating are super common, particularly in women.
When your tummy is bloated, you feel tight and full, and it’s often painful. Sometimes it will cause your stomach to physically distend, and other times it doesn’t but the pain and discomfort are still here.
The majority of gas and bloating can be attributed to digestive issues, although hormones (especially for women) and stress can also play a role in it. In some cases, there may even be an underlying medical condition at play.
Regardless of the culprit of your gas and bloating, one thing is for certain; you want to rid yourself of it ASAP. Certain probiotics have been shown to help alleviate symptoms of gas and bloating while also helping to correct the issue that’s causing it in the first place.
In this article, we share the best probiotics for gas and bloating, according to the science, and, of course, our medical experts.
Quick Summary of Our Top Picks
Contains 3-in-1 clinically studies prebiotics, probiotics and postbiotics, helps support your gut microbiome
Contains 25 billion CFU of probiotic strains per serving, designed for anti-bloating, trusted by thousands
Contains 31 billion CFUs from 12 probiotic strains per serving, made in the USA, very affordable
What Causes Gas and Bloating in the Stomach?
Before we dive into probiotics for gas and bloating, it’s important to first identify and understand what causes these symptoms in your stomach. Speaking with Dr. Nancy Naga - A gastroenterologist, she explains that “The most common cause for bloating is typically diet related and this could be through food intolerances like dairy or difficult-to-digest starches found in vegetables. It could also be caused by serious chronic intestinal diseases like Diverticulitis so it's vital to first visit a Doctor to rule out anything serious. Less functional severe bowel disorders like Irritable Bowel Syndrome are another common cause of gas & bloating.”
Gas forms inside your large intestine when bacteria ferment carbohydrates, which include - fiber, some starches, and some sugars - which aren’t digested well in your small intestine. Bacteria will consume some of that gas, however, the remaining gas will linger around, causing bloating and excess gas that will need to be released via flatulence and/or burping.
Gas and bloating can also be the result of swallowing air when you eat or drink. Those who chew gum frequently might notice more gas and bloat due to the fact that they are constantly swallowing air.
What Foods and Dietary Factors Might Be Causing Your Symptoms?
The most common foods that cause gas include:
- Beans and peas (legumes)
- Whole grains
Plus, there are other dietary factors that can play a role in gas production in your digestive tract, including the following:
- Carbonated beverages - Soda, beer, etc., such as soda and beer
- Eating habits - eating too quickly, drinking through a straw, chewing gum, talking while chewing, etc.
- Fiber supplements containing psyllium - i.e. Metamucil
- Sugar substitutes or artificial sweeteners - i.e. sorbitol, mannitol, and xylitol found in many sugar-free foods
Do Probiotics Work For Bloating and Gas?
Our experts agree that, yes, taking a high-quality, targeted probiotic might be able to help you with your gas and bloating symptoms. Dr. Naga cited this study which found that “Lactobacillus Acidophilus NCFM & Bifidobacterium Lactis Bi-07 were used in a clinical trial published in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology in 2011 that looked at its effects versus placebo for bloating. Taking these two gram-positive strains for a couple of months could help with gas & bloating depending on the cause.”
However, it’s important to keep in mind that not all probiotics are created equal and that you might need to do some research and experimentation before landing on the right formula for your uniquely specific gut microbiome. Paulina Lee, MSHS, RD, LD, and founder of Savvy Stummy shared the following insights:
“There are several kinds of probiotic strains and supplements available. Many different bacterial strains have a specific role in the microbiome. With limited insight into your unique gut, taking probiotics may be hit or miss and eventually turns into a long and expensive guessing game. There is evidence that improving your gut microbiome balance with probiotics can be helpful sometimes, but might not always be the be-all and end-all. True gut relief starts with a balanced gut microbiome by determining the root cause of where gas and bloating are coming from.”
Can Probiotics Make Gas and Bloating Worse?
Yes, taking a probiotic can make your gas and bloating symptoms worse - at first, anyway - which is why it’s vital that you are taking the right one for your needs and that you allow the probiotic ample time to work and for your body to adjust to it.
Dr. Naga explains that “A high CFU multi-strain probiotic supplement can make your gas & bloating worse initially as your microbiome adjusts to the billions of new bacteria. This is a good indicator however that the probiotic is starting to work. You may notice more bloat & gas for the first couple of weeks and this should then pass.”
What Are Some Natural Gas and Bloating Remedies You Could Try?
If you’re not sure if you’re ready to hit purchase on a probiotic just yet, rest assured that there are a handful of natural gas and bloating remedies that you can try first to see if you find relief. Paulina Lee shared the following advice:
- Reduce intake of sodas or carbonated beverages. These bubbles in your drinks could create gas and bloating.
- Cruciferous veggies, like bok choy, cabbage, or Brussels sprouts, contain sulfur and could cause gas. Try limiting the amount or cooking these veggies before eating. Once you've determined the cause of your gas and bloating, it's important to try to re-incorporate these foods back in, if you've been avoiding them, because they contain lots of great nutrients for your gut health and body.
- Drinking through a straw or laughing a lot during meals could cause you to inhale lots of air during meals, which may lead to increased gas or bloating.
- Chewing your food well could help with digestion and may reduce gas or bloating.
The Best Probiotics for Gas and Bloating
After doing your research and understanding the science you’ve determined that giving a probiotic a try is worth it, the list below will help you find the best match. We rounded up the top probiotics for bloating and gas relief and are sharing them with you below.
1. Ritual Synbiotic+
Ritual offers one of the best probiotics on the market for supporting a balanced gut microbiome and helping to eliminate uncomfortable gas and bloating. Synbiotic+ is a three-in-one probiotic that also includes prebiotics and postbiotics for a well-rounded and comprehensive approach to overall gut health.
Ritual includes a powerful 11B CFU probiotic blend from the world's most clinically studied and proven strains so that you get the best, most optimized gut balance possible. Synbiotic+ features:
- Bloat support from probiotic strains LGG & BB-12 for relief of occasional discomforts such as mild diarrhea, gas, and bloating.
- Good bacteria growth maintenance from the prebiotics is designed to target undesirable bacteria in the gut and support the growth of the good (beneficial) bacteria.
- Gut barrier health from the postbiotics that provide fuel for the cells that make up the gut lining and support gut barrier function.
- Immune support is thanks to the prebiotics and the fact that up to 70% of the immune system is located in the gut.
- Once-daily capsule for simple, streamlined support and digestion
- Contains two of the most clinically important strains for gas and bloating relief
- 11B CFU
- Contain prebiotics, probiotics, and postbiotics (synbiotic support)
- Helps to optimize your gut health and improve your immune system
- Delayed-release capsules allow the contents to reach your colon which is the ideal place for probiotics to grow and survive (not the stomach)
- No refrigeration is required
- 100% traceable ingredients from the highest quality sources
- 3rd party tested and meticulously checked for quality and safety
- An incredible brand with highly-rated wellness products
- The monthly cost is a tad higher than some alternatives
- Users might experience some gastrointestinal discomfort for up to 2 weeks while their microbiome adjusts
With a name like Unlboat, you know you’ve landed on a product that’s designed precisely for your specific needs when it comes to gas and bloating. Unbloat is a scientifically developed daily probiotic that also contains digestive enzymes, herbal remedies, essential nutrients, and prebiotic fibers to help support your overall gut health, and, of course, reduce that gas and bloat.
Created by a board-certified Gastroenterologist, Unbloat was formulated to fill in the gap in the wellness space where bloating has been traditionally overlooked. Unlboat contains the following all-natural ingredients that have been shown to help diminish bloating and reduce the occurrence of gas:
- 21 digestive enzymes to help your body to digest all of the foods you eat
- 7 key probiotics that are clinically proven to help smooth digestion and decrease bloating
- 6 herbal remedies to calm your digestive system and prevent the buildup of gas
- 4 essential nutrients to help battle harmful toxins and support your overall digestive health
- 2 prebiotic fibers to support good bacteria and keep your bowels moving
- Specifically designed to treat gas and bloating
- Contains 40 all-natural ingredients for optimal digestion and gut health
- Contains more digestive enzymes than any other bloat-support supplement on the market
- Doctor formulated
- Prevents gassy buildup
- Helps you to stay regular
- Boosts your health and immune system
- Might help with weight loss
- Made in the US
- Subscribe and save discounts
- There are a lot of ingredients besides probiotics, which might not be optimal for those looking for a straight probiotic
- Some users complained that the subscription service was difficult to opt-out of (however, they do provide a customer service contact and a money-back guarantee)
Primal Probiotics from Primal Harvest contain the ultimate probiotic formula to support digestion, energy, and regularity, while also reducing the occurrence of bloating and gas. This formula contains 13 billion CFUs derived from 12 shelf-stable probiotic strains, including Lacto-Spore probiotics for additional immune system support.
Primal Probiotics takes a holistic approach to gut health by including a complete blend of probiotics and prebiotics for all-around gut support. This unique and powerful blend of probiotics helps with the following:
- Promotes a healthy microbiome thanks to dynamic probiotic strains like L. acidophilus and L. reuteri, and PreforPro® prebiotics to optimize the growth and colonization of healthy bacteria in your gut.
- Positively impact your gut microbiota and help to support the growth of beneficial gut bacteria thanks to the PreforPro probiotics which have been clinically proven in over 20 different studies.
- Supports a healthy immune system to help keep your defenses up year-round.
- Keeps your bowels moving regularly which leads to less gas, bloating, and constipation.
- 31B CFUs plus prebiotics for well-rounded gut health optimization
- Promotes good bacteria growth
- Helps keep your gut health optimized and flowing to prevent the buildup of gas and bloat
- Supports digestion, energy, and regularity
- Promotes a healthy immune system and response
- Clinically backed probiotic booster included
- Made in the USA with strict guidelines and high-quality ingredients
- Affordable monthly cost
- Full benefits might take up to 3 months to be realized (although most notice improvements much before that)
- The high CFU count might contribute to some gastrointestinal distress at first but will likely subside once your body is acclimated to it
Total Gut Health by ONNIT is everything you need to optimize your gut health, including digestive enzymes, prebiotics, probiotics, and betaine HCI. This very unique formula has been shown to help reduce gas and bloating by assisting with the digestion of all major macronutrients, breaking down food, and helping to absorb nutrients.
In addition to the gut support that Total Gut Health provides, this formula also helps to build a strong foundation for immune system health as well as optimal brain function. For those who value high performance, choosing ONNIT’s Total Gut Health will not only help to optimize your intestines but your mental health, too. The key ingredients inside of Onnit’s Total Gut Health include the following:
- Digestech - ONNIT’s flagship full-spectrum enzyme supplement that helps you to digest fats, lactose, carbs, protein, and fiber.
- 5 strains of probiotics - L. acidophilus DDS-1, L. Plantarum, L. rhamnosus, B. infantis, and B. lactis
- 2 types of organic prebiotics - Organic Jerusalem artichoke and organic dandelion root help feed the probiotic strains to give a well-rounded gut flora.
- Betaine HCI - This natural chemical helps promote stomach acid production that helps to break down foods.
- SACCHAROMYCES BOULARDII - This gut-friendly yeast that acts as a probiotic, S. Boulardii survives stomach acid to help restock your gut with beneficial microorganisms that aid with normal bowel movements and the reduction of bloat and gas.
- Very unique formula with ingredients that differ from most other alternatives
- Helps to break down good and absorb nutrients
- Aids in immune support
- Promotes a healthy gut flora
- Assists with the digestion of major macronutrients (carbs, proteins, and fats)
- Comes in a handy daily packet
- Many users report a significant reduction in bloating and gas
- You are required to take 7 pills each day, which is a lot for those who struggle with taking capsules
- Some users found that the pills had a plastic-y taste due to the packaging
- The monthly cost is higher than most regular probiotics
Starbursts but make them full of probiotics and ready to tackle your gas and bloat – that’s what you get when you choose FLO Biotics. These Summer Berry flavored chews are packed with 5 billion CFUs of probiotics and 2g of fiber, all wrapped up in a simple package that looks (and tastes) like your favorite candy.
Each FLO Biotic Chew comes packed with 5 billion CFUs of probiotics and 2g of fiber to help:
- Support digestive health
- Promote healthy gut flora
- Reduce bloating and gas
- Relieve abdominal pain
- Relieve occasional constipation
OPositiv is able to accomplish this by adding the probiotic Bacillus coagulans is a lactic acid-forming probiotic shown to help support digestive health, intestinal health, and gastrointestinal health. Additionally, they include a premium fiber blend that provides daily fiber support to help maintain your bowel health and control your blood sugar, cholesterol levels, and even help you to manage your weight.
- Contains 5B CFUs of probiotics and 2g of fiber
- Tastes and looks just like a juicy starburst treat
- Helps to support your digestive health
- Relieves abdominal pain and reduces gas and bloating
- Helps to keep your bowels moving and to relieve occasional constipation
- Very affordable monthly cost
- A great, female-forward brand with an amazing wellness supplement lineup
- Each chew contains 20 calories and 1g of sugar (for those who are watching these numbers)
- The CFU count is lower than some alternatives
1st Phorm creates some of the highest quality, best supplements on the market, and their probiotic is no exception. This foundational formula contains 8B CFUs of disease-preventing bacteria designed to help improve your digestive health, immune system, and overall well-being.
1st Phorm’s Probiotic blend includes strains that thelp to promote healthy metabolism, making weight loss a tad easier for some. Plus, it helps to balance out your microbiome which is likely out of whack due to internal as well as external factors like stress, the environment, and the foods you eat. With a more balanced gut flora, you’ll start to notice a dramatic decrease in the occurrence of gas, bloating, and other gastrointestinal discomforts.
- 8B CFUs of proven probiotic strains
- Highly tested and proven product with hundreds of positive reviews
- Does not contain any additional ingredients or additives
- Helps to promote a healthy metabolism
- Supports digestive health to decrease gas and bloating
- An incredible, integral brand that takes pride in its entire line up of products
- It’s a very simplistic product without any frills or excitement (which can be a great thing)
HUM Nutrition created its signature probiotic, Gut Instinct, to help you to achieve a balanced gut and healthy digestion. This vegan probiotic blend contains 10 distinct probiotic strains that have been shown to support healthy digestion, boost your immunity, and nurture your gut to support your overall health and well-being.
HUM takes pride in crafting supplements that have been meticulously tested and verified to ensure that you’re ingesting the right nutrients for your needs. When it comes to gas and bloat, Gut Instinct has you covered with the inclusion of 10 different probiotics that attack the bad bacteria in your gut and support the good ones. There are hundreds of user reviews that claim Gut Instinct has helped them to relieve their uncomfortable bloating and start feeling like themselves again.
- Contains 10 proven strains for optimal gut health
- Helps to improve digestion and decrease bloating
- Many users reported a decrease in gassy symptoms
- Triple-tested for purity
- Non-GMO and gluten-free
- Free of artificial sweeteners and colors
- Great brand with a full line-up of supplements
- 25B CFUs is on the higher end, which can cause some gastrointestinal distress as your body adjusts
Wrapping Up: What’s the Best Probiotic to Take for Gas and Bloating?
Both science and our experts agree that utilizing the right probiotic can help support your gut health, which in turn, decreases the likelihood of you experiencing gas and bloating. When it comes to finding the “best” option, it’s going to come down to choosing the probiotic that contains the right strains and is made with high-quality ingredients, and contains live, active cultures that have a 100% survivability rate.
All of the options we presented on this list have the makings of a great probiotic to support your gas and bloat issues, but it’s important to keep in mind that your body and gut will need some time to adjust before you start to experience the full benefits. As the saying goes “it will get worse before it gets better,” in many cases. However, if you’re willing to stick it out and allow your body to adjust, you can kiss your uncomfortable, embarrassing, and irritating bloating and gas symptoms goodbye.
A special thanks to our medical contributors who took the time to answer our questions and provide real, science-backed information so that we can, in turn, provide you with real, viable solutions to help you live your fittest, healthiest life.