Tempo recently announced the launch of their newest product, Tempo Move. The Move brings to homes the same level of interactive personal training and high tech, but in a much smaller package.
We've covered Tempo quite a bit here at FHM - our most popular post being Tempo compared to Tonal and Mirror, and many others as well, ever since the smart home gyms have been emerging as quality gym equipment for your home.
Now that Tempo has two amazing smart home gym options to choose from, the question becomes which one is the better choice for you?
That’s exactly what we’re going to be talking about in this article. I am going to be comparing and contrasting Tempo’s flagship Tempo Studio to their newest product, Tempo Move. We’ll break down the pros and cons of each and then help you come to a conclusion as to which one is the better option for you, your needs, your space, and your budget.
Quick Table Comparison of Tempo Studio vs Tempo Move
$39/month (up to 6 accounts)
$39/month (up to 6 accounts)
6'0"h x 2'2"w x 1'4"d
2’0”h x 1’6”w x 1’6”d
42” HD Touchscreen
TV or HDMI display required + iPhone XS/XR or higher required
75 lbs in weight plates
35 lbs in weight plates
Dumbbells, Barbell, Kettlebell, Folding Squat Rack, Folding Bench
Dumbbells (Kettlebell and Barbell are coming soon!)
Avg. User Rating:
4.9/5 (Thousands of reviews)
9.8/10 (after personally using it for a year)
Ok, if you’re here to get right to it and make a quick decision, here’s the TLDR version:
- Tempo Studio requires significantly more real estate in your home. The Studio has an impressive presence to it with its giant 42” screen, but to get that kind of experience, you’re going to need some space. Tempo Move is designed to sit alongside your existing TV setup, taking up significantly less space.
- The Studio comes equipped with more equipment options than the Move. The Started package comes with 75 lbs in weight plates and 2 dumbbells, but you can easily bump up to the Plus or the Pro package and get access to a barbell, bench, additional weight plates, squat rack, and more. Currently, the Move only comes with 35 lbs of weight plates and 2 dumbbells.
- Tempo Studio does not require any additional equipment or tech for full functionality whereas the Move requires that you have an iPhone XS/XR or higher.
- With the Studio, you can upgrade and use any of Tempo’s Olympic-grade equipment. Move currently only allows for use with the dumbbells and weight plates, however, more equipment should be coming soon.
- Tempo Studio starts at $2,495 and the Move starts at $495, so a significant difference in price.
- Just as there are differences between Tempo and Tempo Move, there are also many similarities between the two.
- Both Tempo Studio and Tempo Move offer Personal Training powered by 3D Tempo Vision.
- With your membership, which is required for both options, you will get access to thousands of live and on-demand workouts that you can access anytime you wish. Classes options are vast and designed to work for all fitness levels.
- Each option includes high-quality, Olympic-grade equipment that will withstand use for years to come.
- Both the Move and the Studio hide your equipment in plain sight. No need to worry about storing bulky equipment inside your home, the Studio and the Move both are self-contained, so each piece of equipment has a discreet place to call home when not in use.
Overview of Tempo Studio
Tempo is an award-winning, AI-powered smart gym that has changed the way we work out from home. Between the 3D Vision technology, expansive library of classes, and included equipment, you have everything you need to reach your goals without ever leaving your home.
The Studio delivers powerful personalization that’s unmatched in the smart gym space. With Tempo’s 3D technology, you can have the experience of having a personal trainer there to check and correct your form, count your reps, and help you select the right weights. Plus, all of your information and data is stored within the app, so you can watch as you make progress towards your goals and see how far you’ve come.
Aside from the tech and features that easily make Tempo Studio stand out from the crowd, it also stands out for its style. With a 42” HD touchscreen, the Studio boasts an impressive presence, which means that it will also take up some space in your home so you need to make sure you have a place to accommodate it. Also, keep in mind that you are required to have about an 8-foot space around your Tempo in order to work out safely and allow the sensors to track your movements.
Who It’s For
Tempo Studio is a great option for those who seek a personal training experience without the need for leaving their homes. Those who choose the original Studio should first ensure that they have proper space to accommodate the home gym as well as a dedicated area in front of the screen to ensure optimal tracking and safe workouts.
For those who want the full Tempo experience, the Studio remains the most powerful all-in-one smart home gym solution, so for those who have the space and are dedicated to living their healthiest, fittest lives, the Studio is a great place to start.
Overview of Tempo Move
The announcement of the Tempo Move launch is very exciting for those who love the tech featured in the Tempo Studio but are having a hard time justifying the cost and/or the space required. I love that Tempo recognized the needs of potential users and created a solution that caters to a wider audience.
The Tempo Move makes use of the tech available on your iPhone to help track and record your movements so that you can get the real-time experience and feedback that you could get with the Tempo Studio. The unique value proposition that Tempo Move brings to the table is its ability to fit in anywhere and hide in plain sight. For those who don’t want their living room to double as a gym, Move is discreet and compact enough to not draw any attention.
By utilizing the tech and equipment that you already have at you like your iPhone and TV, you can easily transform the room into a gym complete with a personal trainer. There are two subtle color options to choose from, just like the Studio, so you can choose the one that best suits your home’s motif.
Who It’s For
Tempo Move is an excellent choice for those who have been eyeing the Tempo system but have been hesitant to pull the trigger due to budget and/or space concerns. For those who wish to enjoy the cutting-edge technology and superior programming but don’t; have the physical space or the budget for the original Tempo Studio, Move is there to fill that gap and make smart home workouts so much more accessible.
Final Verdict: Choose Tempo Studio Or Tempo Move?
Alright, as we come down to the wire here, it’s time to make the critical decision: Tempo Studio or Tempo Move?
My hope is that this article gave you a few things to consider and helped you to begin to lean in one direction or the other. I’ll be honest, I find that both the Studio and the Move are excellent options for those who wish to work out from home and don’t want to do it on their own. However, the experience that you get will differ depending on which one you choose.
Let’s face it, the Studio is far more impressive than Move, but at the same time, it’s also much more expensive and space-dependent. For anyone who is serious about getting in shape and making it a long-term part of their lifestyle, the Studio is still going to be the best option. That said, I understand the financial constraints that many of us face, so if the Studio isn’t in the cards, Moves is the next best thing.
I’ll cover more as I am able to get a Tempo Move and try it out for myself, comparing it to the Studio that I already use and love. In the meantime, come on over and join us inside our private Facebook community where we’re always talking about the latest in fitness, wellness, and how to live a fit, healthy life!
Get the full gym experience from the comfort of your own home. With thousands of classes to choose from and talented personal trainers, you're bound to reach your fitness goals with the smart studio home gym.
The only draw back with Tempo's Move is that is doesn't come with a lot of weight. Is it disappointing? Yes it is, but you could always purchase more weight and still not pay upwards of $2,500 if that's a far reach. You still get all the amazing workouts and talented instructors at your finger tips.