You may be familiar with the use of probiotics as an adult, but have you thought about using them for your children as well? While the strains and doses in your probiotic supplement are different from what a younger demographic would benefit from, the concept is the same. Just like adults, kids can use probiotics to help regulate their digestive systems and improve their gut health. As a nutritionist, I have used a probiotic for years. Recently, I started giving my two children probiotics designed for their age group as well.
As a home to billions of organisms such as bacteria, fungi and yeasts, a child’s body requires a balanced microbiome to fight off infection, prevent skin conditions and promote growth by way of optimal nutrient absorption.
I covered the Seed daily synbiotic for adults, but for this article let’s take a detailed look at Seed’s PDS-08 Pediatric Daily Synbiotic for kids and teens between the ages of 3 and 17.
Seed Kids Probiotic Review Fast Facts
- Product name: PDS-08™ Pediatric Daily Synbiotic
- Ages: For kids and teens ages 3-17
- How to take: It's a powdered supplement, and you can mix your powder into a food or drink. Seed says not to mix it in hot foods or drinks, so use cold foods and drinks only.
- # of synbiotic strains: 9
- Top benefits: Easy bowel movements, promotes regular bowel movements, improves overall gut health, could improve a healthy response to seasonal allergens
- Price: $49.99 / month
- Formula rating: 8.5/10 - promising clinical studies
- Mixability rating: 9/10 - it's nice to be able to mix it with any cold drink or food and it is unflavored)
- Seed SciCare team rating: 8.5/10 - this is a great chat service where you can ask pediatricians, parents, and health practitioners questions related to the supplement
- Price rating: 7/10 - we feel this product could be priced a little lower
- Comparable products to consider: hiya kids daily probiotic ($30) - includes a prebiotic and probiotic blend and is a chewable tablet that tastes good, 1st Phorm Opti-Kids ($49.99) - includes whey protein, probiotics, digestive enzymes and is a powdered drink mix (like a protein shake).
- Coupon code for Seed: Shop at Seed here and use coupon code FHM15
Seed PDS-08 Pediatric Daily Synbiotic Overview
This clinically studied two-in-one synbiotic by Seed is a powdered formulation that has been developed with kids and teens in mind. It contains nine different probiotic strains as well as a fiber-based prebiotic. It has been designed to withstand premature breakdown in the digestive tract, ensuring your children receive as many benefits as possible. Offering 20.0 billion AFUs, Seed PDS-08 Pediatric Daily Synbiotic takes into account gut health as well as whole body health.
Use code FHM15 for savings!
There are three different blends of probiotics in this symbiotic for children and teens. This includes:
Gastrointestinal Immunity/Health Blend: 17.0 billion AFU
This blend consists of:
- Lacticaseibacillus rhamnosus SD-GG-IT
- Lactobacillus acidophilus SD-NCFM-US
- Bifidobacterium lactis SD-Bi07-US
- Bifidobacterium breve SD-BR3-IT
Dermatological Health Blend: 2.00 billion AFU
This blend consists of:
- Bifidobacterium lactis SD-CECT8145-SP
- Bifidobacterium longum SD-CECT7347-SP
- Lacticaseibacillus casei SD-CECT9104-SP
Respiratory Health Blend: 1.00 billion AFU
This blend consists of:
- Bifidobacterium breve SD-B632-IT
- Ligilactobacillus salivarius SD-LS01-IT
Six grams of prebiotic MAOS microbiota-accessible oligomeric substrates are included in every dose of Seed PDS-08 Pediatric Daily Synbiotic. This is essentially food for the probiotic blends that are also in each dose. Prebiotics will help beneficial bacteria thrive and flourish.
Fiber is also an important part of a child’s diet. Fiber helps keep everything moving within the GI tract. A lot of kids are prone to constipation, and adding the right forms of fiber can help alleviate and prevent those symptoms. The amount of fiber in Seed PDS-08 is five grams per serving. To get that many grams from diet alone, your child would have to eat two apples, two bananas, over two cups of broccoli or almost three sweet potatoes on a daily basis. All of us parents know how picky eaters our kids can be, which is why using a high-quality supplement to fill in the gaps is ideal.
This is a very safe product, and Seed goes to great lengths to ensure that their supplements are free of all the major allergens. This symbiotic is also free from gluten, corn, soy, sugar, preservatives, binder and colors.
- Promotes easy and regular bowel movements.
- Does not result in unpleasant GI side effects.
- It is the first 9-strain pediatric synbiotic to be studied in a double-blind, randomized 12-week trial within a pediatric population.
- Includes a prebiotic to help support the different blends of probiotic strains.
- Supports skin health
- Promotes a healthy digestive response.
- Supports a healthy respiratory tract
- Bridges the fiber gap that exists in many kids’ diets
- Because this is a powdered supplement, you may find it difficult to get your younger children to consume it. I have one child who is very adventurous and had no problem drinking this down in a glass of juice. My other child is much pickier, and it was hard to get them to take it regularly.
- This is a bit pricey of a supplement, especially if you have multiple children that are going to be taking it. For me, two children taking Seed Synbiotics cost me about $100 per month. However, I really can’t justify putting a price on my children’s health and wellbeing.
What Are Some of the Potential Benefits?
When you combine the different probiotic strains that are included in Seed PDS-08 Pediatric Daily Synbiotic and add in a prebiotic, there are a number of benefits that your kids can enjoy, especially during such an important time in their lives when they’re growing and learning so much each day.
- When taken regularly, this supplement can support digestive function as well as regular bowel movements in children. If you have a child who experiences fewer than five bowel movements per week, this is something you should strongly consider. Also, this product will not increase the risk of having hyper-frequent bowel movements.
- A lot of probiotic supplements can result in symptoms such as pain, bloating, gas and diarrhea, especially as the body gets used to the presence of added bacteria. Seed’s Synbiotic for Kids is very gentle on the GI tract.
- From a GI perspective, Seed PDS-08 supports total gastrointestinal function and healthy digestive responses. This includes regularity, comfort, improved stool consistency and a healthier gut barrier.
- Skin health is important for the younger population. Teens often experience breakouts, while younger kids are prone to eczema and dry skin. Seed PDS-08 can support healthy and smooth skin thanks to a reinforced gut-skin axis.
- Children who suffer from unpleasant seasonal allergies can experience improved respiratory health and fewer allergic symptoms with the use of Seed PDS-08 Pediatric Daily Synbiotic.
Use code FHM15 for savings!
What Makes Seed Kids Probiotic Different?
Seed uses a special biofermentation process during the manufacture of their probiotic supplements. Seed believes that the process used to culture their bacteria impacts the overall viability of the probiotics. This biofermentation process is optimized for pH, temperature, as well as 28 other critical growth factors.
To boost survivability, seven of the nine probiotic strains in this supplement are microencapsulated with a lipid coating. This protects the product from stomach acid, bile salts and digestive enzymes.
Seed uses lot-to-lot testing during each step of their process as well as on the final product. There are more than 50 different quality assurance and quality control checkpoints in place, designed to monitor purity and strength under both US and EU protocols.
How Should a Child Take Seed PDS-08?
In order to get your child on a healthy schedule, choose a time when they will take their PDS-08 probiotic. It’s best that it’s taken with a meal. One packet of product should be mixed into a cold or room temperature food or drink. Anything that’s too hot could compromise the integrity of the probiotics. Once it has been mixed, it should be consumed within 30 minutes. If you leave it for too long, this could cause your child a bit of stomach upset.
Make sure that your child never misses a day. Seed uses a specialized BacTrac container that helps you keep track of the doses.
When Will My Child Feel a Difference?
While everyone is completely different in how they will react to taking a probiotic / prebiotic supplement, your child could start to see a change in their gut health within 24 to 48 hours. This is more for localized digestive support. It will take more time to achieve whole-body health benefits like an increased immune response, better respiratory health and healthy skin. The goal is to have your child take their Seed supplement each day.
How About Safety?
The majority of children will be able to tolerate PDS-08 with ease. There are no known contraindications to be concerned with. All of the probiotic strains included in Seed’s PDS-08 have GRAS and/or QPS status. This means that they have been designated as safe for consumption by the United States and the European Union. Ideally, you should check with your child’s pediatrician before you start any kind of new vitamin or supplement regimen.
Who Should Try Seed Kids Probiotics?
Seed Kids probiotics are beneficial in a number of scenarios. If your child deals with frequent bouts of gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation, they may be dealing with poor gut health that can be rectified with probiotics.
Our children’s immune systems are closely related to their gut health, and we all know how frequently our children pick up different colds and viruses when they’re at school and activities. A healthy immune boost can be achieved with the use of this product. The added benefits of the respiratory blend can ensure that your child can quickly recover from anything that they do come in contact with.
If your child has been diagnosed with a GI-related disease or condition, it’s a good idea to speak with their doctor before you start them on Seed PDS-08 Synbiotic. There may be contradictions with their state of health or any medications that they are taking.
Also, make sure that you’re only using this supplement for children that are within the recommended age range of three and 17. Children under the age of three should not use this product.
How Much Does PDS-08 Pediatric Daily Synbiotic Cost?
The current cost of the PDS-08 Pediatric Daily Synbiotic from Seed is $49.99 per month. This includes free shipping within the U.S. A flat shipping rate is available for international deliveries. You can skip or cancel your subscription at any time.
Our readers can get an additional 15% off on your first purchase with the discount code FHM15.
What’s Included in Your Subscription?
Included in your subscription to Seed Kids Probiotic is a 30-day supply of probiotic sachets. You also receive a refillable aluminum BacTrac container. This container helps you keep track of your child’s doses and keeps the product protected. No refrigeration is necessary.
Comparable Products to Consider
Seed kids probiotic
at Seed (code - FHM15)
at Hiya (50% off with our link)
at 1st Phorm (free shipping with our link)
Begin Health Kids prebiotics
The consistent use of probiotics is important for children’s gut health as well as the health of their immune system, respiratory system, skin and so much more. When your child uses this Seed product on a daily basis, beneficial bacteria will interact with their immune cells, gut cells, nutrients and other beneficial bacteria already present in the gut. It will eventually be expelled from the body, which is why replacement is important. There are other reasons why your child may be deficient in probiotics, including the recent use of antibiotics for an illness or infection.
Seed has made it simple to keep your child consistent with their synbiotic routine. Each time you take a sachet out of the BacTrac container, twist the lid to mark another day of use before you put it away. Within just a few short weeks, you should see a big difference in how your children act and feel. It quickly becomes noticeable how gut health actually impacts your children's daily life. As a nutritionist, I highly recommend having a probiotic in the home for each age demographic that lives there.
Use code FHM15 for savings!