These Healthy Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Sliders are a healthy recreation of traditional sloppy joes. It is an easy recipe to whip up and have on hand for lunch or dinner during busy weeks. It is also a great recipe to serve at your next social gathering, such as a tailgate or party.
These Healthy Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Sliders are customizable, can be prepared in advance, and has lots of hidden veggies and additional nutrients! If you’re looking for a simple recipe to meal prep or make for a party, you’ve come to the right place. Now, let’s get to making these Healthy Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Sliders!
3 Reasons Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It has a ton of hidden veggies and nutrients. This recipe has bell peppers, onions, celery, and carrots, but you can pick your favorite veggies of choice to add to this recipe. When you chop or shred the veggies finely, you will barely be able to tell they are in this recipe. This is the perfect recipe for picky eaters who need their veggies disguised in a meal!
- It is macro friendly and well balanced. Traditional sloppy joes either tend to be high in refined carbohydrates, added sugar, and/or saturated fats. These Healthy Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Sliders use an array of portioned ingredients that create the perfect balance of macronutrients (carbs, protein, and fat). This recipe is so tasty, but will also give you all the nutrients you need to keep you feeling your best!
- The sloppy joe meat can be batch-cooked and frozen for later use. I am a huge fan of freezer meals and the meat mixture in this recipe is the perfect example of this. If you like to have things on hand for nights where you don’t have time to cook, I highly recommend trying to make these sloppy joes ahead of time and store it in the freezer. When you want to eat it, simply thaw the meat and create your perfect sloppy joe.
This recipe is full of nutritious ingredients and so much variety! It is easily customizable, but if you are following our traditional recipe you will need:
- Meat mixture:
- Ground turkey
- Olive oil
- Veggies (celery, carrots, bell pepper, onion)
- Bone broth
- Tomato sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Red wine vinegar
- Spices (paprika, salt, and pepper)
- Brown sugar
- Sweet potatoes (for sweet potato sliders)
Kitchen Tools Required
For the sloppy joes you will need a cutting board, knife, large stovetop skillet, and a spoon or spatula. For the sweet potato sliders you will need an air fryer or baking sheet.
How to Make Healthy Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Sliders
Step 1: Wash, prepare, and saute veggies.
Step 2: Add ground turkey to veggie mixture and cook until no longer pink.
Step 3: Add sauce ingredients, stir, and simmer until thickened.
Step 4: Make sweet potato sliders by washing, slicing, and air frying or roasting in the oven until lightly browned and crispy.
Swaps or Alternatives
- Ground turkey
- I used ground turkey for this recipe, but any protein of choice can be used depending on your nutritional needs and food preferences. Other options include lean ground beef, ground chicken, or cooked lentils.
- Olive oil
- The olive oil is used to saute the meat and veggies, but any oil can be used.
- This recipe calls for celery, carrots, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and onion. The great part about this recipe is that you can easily make it your own! Feel free to add in or omit any vegetable of your choosing.
- The sauce ingredients for this recipe are bone broth, tomato sauce, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, paprika, salt, pepper, light brown sugar, and minced garlic. With all of these ingredients, you can customize based on your taste preferences and nutritional needs. For example, if you are following a low sodium diet, I recommend purchasing a no salt added tomato sauce.
- Sweet potatoes
- The main ingredient for the sweet potato sliders! You can also use any kind of potato. If you prefer to serve your sloppy joe mixture on a regular bun or over a bed of lettuce, you can omit this ingredient and instruction steps all together.
- Optional toppings
- I love to add crunchy toppings to this recipe such as lettuce, tomato, onion, and/or pickles. Feel free to add your favorite toppings or omit all together.
- To speed up the prep time, you can purchase prepared produce such as pre-chopped onions, celery, carrots, etc.
Macros & Nutrition Information
- 278 calories
- 27g carbs
- 10g fat
- 20g protein
Healthy Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Sliders
- Cutting Board
- Large stovetop pan
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Air fryer or baking sheet (for sweet potato sliders)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles Optional toppings
- ½ cup bone broth (beef or chicken)
- 1 can no salt added tomato sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
Sweet potato sliders
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Meat mixture and sauce
- Wash and prepare all produce as described above.
- In a large stovetop skillet, add 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Once fragrant, saute the celery, carrots, bell pepper, and onion until veggies are softened, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, salt, and pepper to the skillet and cook until no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks. If the mixture seems dry at any point add a small amount of water.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to the skillet. Stir to combine. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Once sauce has thickened, serve immediately onto the sweet potato sliders with your favorite toppings of choice.
Sweet potato sliders
- While meat mixture and sauce is cooking, wash and slice sweet potatoes as described above.
- Drizzle sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp of olive oil and salt/pepper, to taste.
- Place sweet potato rounds into the air fryer or onto a baking sheet, in a single layer.
- Air fryer: Air fry at 400F for 10 minutes. Flip the sweet potato rounds and air fry for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until slightly brown and crispy.
- Oven: Roast at 425F for 10 minutes. Flip the sweet potato rounds and roast for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until slightly brown and crispy.