Bringing back the comforting flavors of a classic favorite with a wholesome twist, get ready to enjoy our Healthier Hamburger Helper recipe. By using lean ground turkey, we've transformed this beloved classic into a lighter and more nutritious dish without sacrificing taste. With just a few simple steps, you can enjoy a comforting meal that's both satisfying and perfect for the whole family!
Healthier High Protein Hamburger Helper
- 1 Large Skillet or Pan
- 1 Wooden spoon or spatula
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Serving Plates or Bowls
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb. 99% lean ground turkey
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 10 ounces rigate pasta
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- In a large skillet or pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onions and minced garlic to the skillet. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onions become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the lean ground turkey to the skillet. Break it apart with a spoon and cook until it's no longer pink, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in the chicken broth, milk, and tomato sauce. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Sprinkle in the paprika and dried oregano. Stir again to evenly distribute the spices.
- Carefully add the pasta to the skillet. Make sure it's evenly distributed in the liquid.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the skillet with a lid. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 12-15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked al dente. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Taste a small piece of pasta to ensure it's cooked to your desired tenderness. If needed, add a little more broth and continue simmering until it reaches the desired texture.
- Once the pasta is cooked, remove the skillet from heat. Sprinkle the shredded sharp cheddar cheese over the top of the mixture.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt and the flavors to meld together.
- After resting, spoon the hamburger helper on plates and enjoy!