Fit Healthy Momma Rating: 9/10
DribbleUp Smart Weights is making connected home fitness more accessible and affordable for anyone who wants to build and tone their muscles and experience the many physical and mental benefits of resistance training. With fun workouts, rep counting, and feedback, you’ll get a great workout anytime, anywhere!
The benefits of lifting weights are undeniable. However, a study published in 2018 in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that only 30.2% of US adults engage in muscle-strengthening activities. That means over 60% of us aren’t getting the recommended 2-3 resistance training sessions per week that have been proven to improve our health and increase our longevity.
I’ll be honest, I wasn’t shocked when I read these stats - in fact, up until a few years ago, I was a part of the 60+ percent who wasn’t implementing any resistance training. The way I see it, there are a couple of reasons why more people, especially women, aren’t consistently working on strengthening their muscles:
- We lack knowledge and education about the benefits.
- We feel intimidated and don’t know where to start.
- We’re misinformed about what lifting weights will do to our body (i.e. afraid we’ll get “bulky”).
For those of us who feel intimidated to get started and/or are completely lost and confused, Dribbleup’s new Smart Weights might be the answer. I’ve worked with Dribbleup for years, trying and reviewing their Smart Medicine Ball, Smart Boxing Gloves, and more - and I have always been a huge fan of the brand. Dribbleup makes smart, connected home fitness easier and more accessible than ever before.
With the latest launch of their Smart Weights, I was thrilled to get the opportunity to try them out for myself and now to share my thoughts on them with you. In this article, I’m reviewing Dribbleup’s Smart Weights system, giving you all the ins and outs you need to decide if this system is right for you and your journey with making resistance training part of your weekly fitness routine.
What Are the Benefits of Weight Resistance Training?
First things first, let’s briefly touch on some of the core benefits of weight training. Strength training is an important part of your overall fitness, but many of us don’t really understand the how and the “why” behind it.
Strength or resistance training might help you with the following:
- Bone development
- Weight management
- Enhanced quality of life
- Reduction in chronic conditions
- Clearer mental clarity and focus
- A sense of self confidence and pride in your ability
We dove deep into the specifics of weight training and how it benefits women specifically in another article, which I highly recommend you check out if you’re a female looking to get into weight resistance training.
Quick Summary of Dribbleup Smart Weights Review
Dumbbells included in purchase:
Set includes 1 size of dumbbells of your choice
Dribbleup Fitness App
Fitness app membership:
Separate purchase of $16.99 per month (cancel any time)
App integrates with:
Works with any phone or tablet with iOS 13+ or Android 10+
5 Pounds Dumbbell Set of 2: $59.99, 10 Pounds Dummbbell Set of 2: $99.99, 15 Pounds Dumbbell Set of 2: $129.99, 20 Pounds Dumbbell Set of 2: $159.99
Avg. User Rating:
Introducing DribbleUp’s Smart Weights
DribbleUp Smart Weights are a smart fitness system that tracks your workouts in real-time, providing you with feedback on form and guiding you through dedicated strength training workouts that will help you build muscle, get lean and toned, and lose weight.
The DribbleUp Smart Weights sync seamlessly with the DribbleUp App, allowing you to track every movement and count every rep. Syncing your dumbbells is as simple as standing in front of your phone or tablet screen and placing the dumbbells in the center.
There are multiple different Smart Weights to choose from, with weights ranging from 5lb dumbbells all the way to 20lb dumbbells. Each package comes with two premium-quality dumbbells in bright, beautiful colors. Users can choose to purchase one set of weights or multiple - depending on ability and needs.
The DribbleUp App is where you’ll find all the workouts and exercises you need to get an amazing strength training session from anywhere, at any time. There are both live and on-demand classes to choose from across a variety of lengths, modalities, and experience levels.
- Smart, connected fitness at a much more affordable price
- Premium quality dumbbells
- Works with any phone or tablet with iOS 13+ or Android 10+
- Connects to your TV via Apple TV or Chromecast
- Weights sync up seamlessly with the app
- Live and on-demand classes to choose from
- Short, but effective workouts
- Receive form cues and feedback
- Rep counting is done for you
- All you need is your Smart Weights and a phone or tablet
- Fun, engaging instructors
- Multiple weights to choose from
- Perfect for those beginning to lift weights
- Great brand with a wholesome mission
- Some people complain that it’s difficult to sync the weights with the phone (although, that has not been my experience)
- Weights only go up to 20lb dumbbells, which might not be enough for more experience or trained individuals
How it Works
If you remember back to a couple of years ago, connected home fitness exploded. What started with Peloton spread to countless brands creating their own version of home workout equipment and programs. While we’re all about smart fitness and the flexibility it provides, the truth is that a lot of the options aren’t budget-friendly and/or are too big and bulky for the average person’s space. This is where DribbleUp shines.
DribbleUp has managed to create smart fitness equipment that works for everyone, saving you both money and space at home. The brand started off by offering smart soccer and basketballs but has evolved to cater to a wider audience with its smart Medicine Ball, smart Boxing Gloves, Smart Trampoline, and now Smart Weights.
With hundreds of positive reviews and a thriving online community of loyal fans, DribbleUp is certainly doing something right. Here’s how it works to get started using DribbleUp’s Smart Weights system:
Set up your phone or tablet with the camera front-facing. I recommend buying DribbleUp’s tripod stand for this!
Choose which workout you want to do from the large selection of live and on-demand workouts available on the DribbleUp App.
Grab your Smart Weights and hold them together in front of your phone or tablet screen, centering them in the middle of the circle.
Hear the audible “click” which tells you that you’ve successfully synced your weights.
Get to work and have fun!
Watch My YouTube Video Showing Dribble Up Smart Weights In Action
Who Should Try DribbleUp Smart Weights?
The Smart Weights system is a great option for anyone aged 16+ that is looking to start or optimize their exercise routine from the comfort of their home. For those who want to incorporate strength training into their fitness routine and don’t know where to start, DribbleUp makes it a simple and pleasant experience.
Try DribbleUp Smart Weights If:
- You’re new to strength training and want to get started on the right foot
- You’re looking for smart home fitness that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg
- You want to experience short, but effective workouts
- You’re on a budget
- You don’t have a lot of space to dedicate to fitness equipment
- You want to get stronger, leaner, and more toned
- You want to workout on your schedule
- You’re looking for a community of like-minded people to partner with you on your fitness journey
Try Dribbleup Smart Weights
Those who might not be the best fit for DribbleUp’s Smart Weights include:
- Those who are experienced in weight training and require heavier weights
- Those who don’t have access to a smartphone or tablet
- Those with injuries that would interfere with your ability to maintain good form and function while training
Cost and Where to Buy
DribbleUp Smart Weights cost between $59.99 -$79.99, depending on the size of the weights you purchase. The only place to buy Smart Weights is directly from DribbleUp’s website where you’ll enjoy fast, free shipping and a money-back guarantee.
Final Thoughts: Should You Try DribbleUp Smart Weights?
DribbleUp’s Smart Weights system is the ideal solution for those who want the flexibility to strength train from home without the bulk or the high price tag. For anyone looking to add strength training to their fitness routine and to do so in an effective, efficient, and tech-forward way, DribbleUp Smart Weights are 100% worth trying.
After using Smart Weights for myself, I can tell you that I am very pleased with the system - which, to be honest, is not a surprise, as I have been a fan of DribbleUp products for a few years now. Between the budget-friendly cost, the innovative technology, and the fun and excitement of the workouts, DribbleUp Smart Weights are a no-brainer for anyone wanting to get stronger, leaner, and more confident.