PMS, premenstrual syndrome, “time of the month”, our monthly friend, or “the curse”…we all know what it means and I don’t think too many of us look forward to it. PMS affects women in a vast array of different ways, and some lucky ladies don’t seem to experience it all.
But we’re here today to talk about those of us who do. For some of us, PMS hits us like a ton of bricks each month like clockwork. Life’s going well, everything is cool, and then BAM, we’re dealing with an onslaught of PMS symptoms that take us right off track.
But it doesn’t have to be that way. There are vitamins and supplements that are designed to take the edge off PMS and give us the much-needed relief we deserve. So what are the best PMS vitamins?
We asked our experts to weigh in here and we’ve uncovered the top vitamins and supplements for PMS so that you can get your hands on some PMS symptom-stopping support while also improving your overall wellness.
What Vitamins Help With PMS (Menstrual Cycle)?
When it comes to vitamins that directly affect PMS, the lines are a bit blurred because each woman is so different as are her symptoms. However, there is some evidence that shows that certain vitamins and minerals can be helpful for various PMS-related symptoms and might be able to lessen their effects during your menstrual cycle.
Dr. Shweta Shah MBBS, MS-Obstetrics & Gynecology shared that “there are a few vitamins that have been linked to helping with PMS symptoms. Vitamin B6 is known to help with mood swings and premenstrual cramps. Vitamin E has been shown to reduce bloating and breast tenderness. And calcium is thought to relieve anxiety and water retention.”
She goes on to explain that “while more research is needed to confirm these findings, these vitamins may help ease some of the symptoms of PMS, it's important to remember that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another.”
Greg J. Marchand MD, FACS, FACOG, FICS doesn’t typically recommend any specific vitamins to help with PMS, however, he does recommend a daily multivitamin and keeping your medicine cabinet stocked with pain relievers.
“There’s not really any vitamins I recommend, although a daily women’s multivitamin is a great idea to make sure you aren’t deficient in anything. The mainstays of therapy for PMS are going to be acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and aspirin,” says Dr. Marchand.
He also added that “for some women, caffeine can also be an important part of treatment as it can fight bloating and tiredness. Other commonly used medications to fight PMS include antidepressants and birth control pills, but these require a prescription.”
Can a Vitamin Deficiency Make Your PMS Symptoms Worse?
Both Dr. Shah and Dr. Marchand agree that certain vitamin deficiencies can make your PMS symptoms worse.
“For example, a lack of vitamin B6 has been linked to increased levels of the hormone prolactin, which can cause breast tenderness and other PMS symptoms. Vitamin D deficiency has also been linked to an increased risk of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), a severe form of PMS,” according to Dr. Shah.
And Dr. Marchand echoed a similar sentiment saying “Absolutely! A deficiency of any vitamin, or even some electrolytes like potassium can definitely make symptoms worse. I recommend every woman take a women’s multivitamin every day and try to eat a well-balanced diet.”
At the end of the day, it’s vital for women to ensure they’re eating a healthy, macro-balanced diet that’s full of fruits, veggies, healthy carbs, healthy fats, and plenty of whole protein sources in order to get their daily recommended allowance of vitamins and minerals. And as an insurance plan, choosing a multivitamin for women is usually a smart decision as well.
What Natural Herb Supplements Help with PMS?
Aside from vitamins and minerals, there are some natural herbal supplements that might also be able to help with your PMS symptoms. The following herbs have been shown to ease PMS-related issues:
This has been used for centuries to treat various hormone-related gynecologic conditions. Current research shows that chasteberry can be effective for cyclical breast discomfort and PMS.
This herb has been commonly used to treat cramps, PMS, and menopausal symptoms alike.
This herb has been shown to improve mood, indigestion, and cramping, and support your everyday PMS struggles.
This can help to reduce inflammation, decrease heavy bleeding, promote better sleep, and relaxation, and has an overall calming effect on your body and mind.
This ingredient has been shown to help ease the pain related to PMS and your menstrual cycle.
The Best PMS Vitamins and Supplements
Now that we’ve identified and reviewed some of the vitamins and supplements that have been shown to help ease your menopause symptoms, let’s take a look at some PMS vitamin and/or supplement options to help you find the right fit for your unique experience and situation.
Keep in mind that there’s no one-size-fits-all solution for PMS, so you may have to spend some time exploring your options and seeing what works best for you. Dr. Marchand agrees saying, “I don’t think there’s any one supplement that’s going to cure PMS or work for everyone’s PMS symptoms, but a lot of supplements combine a lot of good stuff that can help with PMS symptoms.”
With that said, let’s take a look at the options we chose!
FLO by OPositiv was the very first ever PMS vitamin to be created and it has since helped thousands of women to experience relief from their symptoms. This formula includes specific ingredients that have been used for centuries to help alleviate common PMS symptoms like hormonal acne, mood swings, bloating, and cramps.
FLO’s goal is to make PMS suck less. They created a plant-based vitamin that takes a proactive approach to PMS relief. Plus, they deliver to you in a delicious, soft gummy that you’ll look forward to enjoying each day. The following key ingredients are included:
- Chasteberry for hormonal acne and mood swings
- Vitamin B6 for mood swings and cravings
- Dong Quai for cramps and bloating
- Lemon Balm for cramps, digestion, and stress relief
- Clinically shown to help with common PMS symptoms
- Reduced mood swings and cravings
- Decreases cramps and bloating
- Reduced hormonal acne
- Comes in a delicious gummy that’s a treat to consume
- Also comes in a sugar-free capsule option
- Vegan-friendly, gluten-free, non-GMO, cruelty-free
- Amazing women’s wellness brand that we support 100%
- Fast, easy shipping and subscription options
- Some women might be sensitive to some of the natural herbal ingredients and/or they make interact with certain medications (be sure to speak with your doctor before taking)
- The FLO gummy contains sugar (but you can choose the capsule if sugar is a concern of yours)
After speaking with multiple MDs and women’s health specialists, it became clear that the most recommended vitamin for PMS is a women’s multivitamin, and it doesn’t get much better than Ritual’s formula for women 18+.
Research shows that taking a multivitamin that’s formulated, along with a healthy diet and exercise plan, can help make sure that you’re getting the right nutrients into your diet to support a healthy menstrual cycle and can even help reduce PMS symptoms. When it comes to Ritual, they include clinically-proven nutrients designed to promote whole-body wellness, all inside a patented delayed-release capsule that optimizes nutrient absorption in your body.
The following key ingredients are included in Ritual’s Multivitamin for women 18+:
- Omega-3 DHA
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin K2
Together, these ingredients help to support brain health, bone health, blood-building, antioxidant support, and menstrual support.
- Designed specifically for women 18+
- Includes key essential ingredients shown to support a woman’s overall health
- All ingredients are made traceable so you know where they’re coming from and what you’re putting into your body
- Delayed release capsules for maximum and optimal absorption
- Capsules are small and easy to take, plus they’re enhanced with mint for an even better experience
- Clinically proven
- Vegan, gluten-free, allergen-free, free of artificial ingredients
- USP verified
- An incredible brand with integral products
- It’s a women’s multivitamin, not specifically designed for PMS symptoms
- There are no herbal ingredients that address PMS-specific problems
Serenol by Bonafide offers powerful, hormone-free relief from mood swings, irritability, and uneasiness due to hormonal fluctuations that occur due to PMS and menopause. This supplement is clinically proven safe and effective for the relief of your most nagging PMS symptoms.
Designed to calm irritability, balance mood swings, curb cravings, and reduce water retention, Serenol users report PMS relief within 3 months of continued use. Bonafide uses its exclusive Bonafide Pollen which uses a unique proprietary purification process to unlock the unique healing benefits of pollen derived from four specific plants grown in Sweden.
Key ingredients include:
- Exclusive Bonafide Pollen - used for mood swings, irritability, and uneasiness
- Royal Jelly - shown to help with mood swings and irritability
- Chromium Picolinate - helps optimize your metabolism and fight off food cravings
- Provides natural relief from mood swings and irritability associated with PMS
- Very unique, clinically shown formula
- Safe and hormone-free
- Helps to curb cravings and reduce water retention
- Bonafide rigorously researches and tests all of its products for safety and efficacy
- Small, easy-to-swallow pills
- A great female brand that’s helping with PMS and Menopause
- This formula doesn’t contain any vitamins and minerals (might consider adding a multivitamin to your routine if you choose Serenol)
- For full effects, you will need to take this regularly for at least 2 months (which is commonplace for most supplements)
PMS got you feeling moody? Moody Bird by HUM Nutrition to the rescue! This unique PMS vitamin was designed with a potent herbal blend to support healthy hormone balance and to ease your nagging PMS symptoms, including cramps, mood swings, and irritability. Plus, it helps to promote psychological and physical health associated with monthly cycles and works to maintain a healthy hormone balance all month long.
HUM formulates all of its supplements with clinically proven nutrients that are sourced with care. Every ingredient in Moody Bird is pure, potent, and effective, so you can count on reliable relief from PMS symptoms. The following key ingredients are what make this PMS supplement so effective:
- Chaste Berry - this has been shown to support women’s psychological and physical well-being during their monthly cycles.
- Dong Quai - this has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for restoring female hormonal balance.
- Clinically proven ingredients
- 3rd party tested and triple-tested for purity
- Free of gluten and artificial ingredients.
- Studies have shown that 88% of users were satisfied with their results from taking Moody Bird
- Eases common PMS symptoms like cramps and mood swings
- Maintains healthy hormone balance
- Easy to take tablets
- Great brand with many women’s health and wellness supplements to choose from
- This formula doesn’t contain any vitamins for PMS, so you may consider also taking a women’s multivitamin
- Might not be paired well with birth control pills, speak with your doctor before taking the two together
Semaine wants you to have the best period imaginable by taking their super-powered PMS & Period Support vitamin daily. This plant-based supplement helps to beat the bloat, reduce your cramps, and improve your mood. According to research, most Semaine customers report feeling a difference within an hour of using PMS & Period Support.
This particular PMS vitamin is meant to be taken as your symptoms occur, so more of an as-needed supplement vs a daily vitamin. The ingredients inside this supplement are pleased to help your body respond to the inflammation that increases at the start of your period, thereby diminishing the symptoms your experience. The following key ingredients make this possible:
- Vitamin D
- Green Tea
- Helps to reduce mood swings
- Milder cramps
- Increased energy
- Decreases bloating
- Natural, plant-based ingredients
- Hormone-free, drug-free, and cruelty-free
- Users note feeling a difference within an hour
- Meant to be taken as needed to stop symptoms
- This is more of a reactive PMS vitamin as opposed to a proactive supplement
- There are a lot of ingredients inside this supplement, it’s best to check with your doctor to ensure there won’t be any interactions or contraindications
Balance by Eu Natural offers healthy hormone balance for healthy menstrual cycles while diminishing PMS symptoms including bloating, cramping, restlessness, and mood swings. Eu Natural uses Evening Primrose Oil, which has been shown to support hormone balance and improve your quality of life during your period. It’s commonly used for PMS relief, menopause relief, menstrual discomfort, and breast pain.
Eu Natural creates supplements that are simple yet effective, using only formulas created by medical and herbal professionals with super clean ingredients that are 100% potency as verified by an independent laboratory. The following key ingredients are critical for the success of Balance:
- Black Seed Oil
- Evening Primrose Oil
- Designed to improve hormone balance and promote healthy cycles
- Includes highly recommend Evening Primrose Oil
- Helps to alleviate bloating, cramping, restlessness, and mood swings
- Third-party tested
- Pure ingredients - no fillers or binders
- Made in the USA
- Some women experience negative side effects from Evening Primrose Oil
- This supplement does not contain any vitamins, only herbal ingredients
Wrapping Up: What’s the Best Vitamin or Supplement for PMS?
Assuming that you have your healthy diet and lifestyle locked in, the best PMS vitamin is the one that helps support your unique symptoms and helps you feel your best all month long. There’s one magic elixir that’s going to take away your PMS symptoms, unfortunately. But following a healthy diet that’s full of nutrient-dense foods, moving your body regularly, getting plenty of sleep and water, and adding a women’s multivitamin and/or one of these supplements to your diet might be able to help keep things under control for you.
Here at FHM, we like to take a holistic approach to women’s wellness, focusing on our overall health and well-being first and foremost. More often than not, when women prioritize their health and dedicate themselves to making healthy choices, they start to see a reduction in their symptoms. Of course, there will always be some nagging issues that we’ll want to resolve, which is where PMS vitamins and/or supplements will come in handy.
As always, be sure to check with your OBGYN before starting any new supplements, and when you do, give them the time and space they need to start working before making a conclusive decision as to whether or not they work.