Menopause seems to get a lot of attention, and rightfully so, it’s a major turning point in womanhood. But what doesn’t seem to get as much attention is perimenopause, which can be equally monumental and symptomatic.
As women, we go through many hormonal changes and shifts throughout our lifespan. It’s a beautiful yet humbling process and every woman’s experience with each season of life is unique.
Perimenopause, for some women, begins in their 30’s, but for most, symptoms will begin between the ages of 40-44. And the hormonal changes that are indicative of perimenopause can cause some unpleasant side effects that can really throw us for a loop.
But the good news is that there are perimenopause supplements available that can help you to alleviate and minimize perimenopause-related side effects. In this article, I’m highlighting the best perimenopause supplements for women who are seeking symptomatic relief during this transitional period.
What is Perimenopause?
Perimenopause is the time before menopause when the female body is beginning to transition to menopause. Menopause is marked by the cessation of your menstrual cycle, therefore, perimenopause is the time when your body is slowly starting to phase ovulation and menstruation out. This time can last between 2-10 years and is commonly recognized by the following:
- Reduction in ovulation regularity
- Reduction in the production of estrogen and other hormones
- Decreased fertility
- Shorter and more irregular periods
The symptoms you experience relating to perimenopause are the result of changing hormone levels. Specifically, when your estrogen levels are higher, you may experience symptoms similar to PMS. When estrogen levels are lower, you might experience hot flashes and night sweats.
What Are the Common Symptoms?
It’s important to note that no two women will have an identical experience with perimenopause, however, the following are the most common symptoms:
- Mood changes
- Shifts in sexual desire
- Difficulty with concentration
- Night sweats
- Hot flashes
- Vaginal dryness
- Sleep troubles
- Joint and muscle aches
- Heavy sweating
- Having to pee often
- PMS-like symptoms
If you believe you’ve reached perimenopause and you’re experiencing any/all of the above symptoms, you might find relief from the over-the-counter perimenopausal supplements we’re featuring below.
Quick Table of the Best Supplements for Perimenopause
HUM Fan Club
1st Phorm Harmony
Semaine Health Menopause Essentials
Zuma Happy Hormones
Buying Guide: Here’s What to Look For
Before we dive into the supplements we recommend, let’s first identify some of the criteria we used to create our list and help you understand what you should be looking out for as well.
Checking the ingredients label on any supplement you’re considering is important, but especially so when looking for a perimenopause supplement. If you’re like most women, you’re looking for a supplement that’s safe, natural, and hormone-free as the first line of defense. Check the nutrition label to ensure that the ingredients are natural, plant-based, and have clinical data showing their relevance and effectiveness for treating the symptoms you’re looking for relief from.
Speaking of symptoms, some supplements focus on one or two specific symptoms whereas others provide more of a comprehensive hormone balancing approach. Take some time to consider what you’re struggling with the most and then decide if you’d like to add a supplement that’s specifically formulated for that specific symptom or if you’d like a more well-rounded approach to treating the hormonal imbalance that is the root cause of most symptoms.
Brand reputation and integrity matter when it comes to buying supplements. Considering the industry is not regulated by the FDA, it’s very common for supplement brands to be less than integral when it comes to the ingredients and quality of their products. Do a little research into the brand as a whole, what their mission is, where they source their ingredients from, etc. to ensure that you’re investing in a quality brand that’s bringing you a quality product that actually does what it says it will do.
Finally, the cost will most certainly play a role in your decision. When you align with the right perimenopause supplement, you’re going to want to continue taking it regularly for the best results. If you’re on a budget, be aware of the monthly cost and make sure that it’s going to fit your budget. One of the best hacks is to utilize the subscribe and save option that nearly every brand offers these days. Not only do you save some money, but you also will have your supplements delivered right to your door on autopilot, so no worries about running out.
The Seven Best Perimenopause Supplements
By incorporating natural supplements for perimenopause into your daily routine, you may be able to reduce or eliminate the nagging symptoms you’re experiencing as well as safeguard your long-term health. Below are our top picks for perimenopause supplements.
1. OPositiv MENO
MENO by Opositiv is a daily, hormone-free menopause supplement that’s formulated to provide you with multi-symptom relief from menopause and perimenopause symptoms. This is a natural, hormone-free supplement that includes clinically-studied ingredients that work for your most common perimenopause symptoms like hot flashes and hormonal weight gain.
MENO contains carefully curated ingredients that include:
- Black Cohosh for relief from hot flashes and night sweats
- Ashwagandha for improved sexual function and a more restful sleep
- Chasteberry to control hormonal weight gain and mood
- Vitamins D3 and B6 support bone health and mood
- A hormone-free formula that provides multi-symptom relief
- Contains Black Cohosh which has been shown to reduce hot flashes by as much as 85%
- Key ingredients provide relief from everything from weight gain and hot flashes to night sweats and irritability
- Contains Ashwagandha which has been shown to improve sleep in 72% of adult users
- It can take up to 8 weeks to realize full results
- It’s a newer product for OPositiv so there aren’t a ton of customer reviews yet (although it’s growing by the day!)
2. HUM Fan Club
Fan Club by HUM Nutrition is a multi-symptom menopause support supplement that’s estrogen-free, non-hormonal, and contains a clinically-studied probiotic formula that addresses the top 11 symptoms of perimenopause. This safe, natural supplement has helped thousands of women find relief both during their perimenopausal and menopause periods.
Fan Club is formulated with just a handful of key ingredients that contribute to its success when it comes to helping women in their 30s and 40s deal with and overcome menopause or pre-menopause hormone shifts:
- ERr 731 Siberian Rhubard Extract that’s been clinically shown to reduce the frequency and severity of night sweats, hot flashes, sleep disturbances, low sex drive, vaginal dryness, and muscle & joint pain.
- Lactobacillus Plantarum (DR7) is a patented probiotic that’s clinically shown to support your gut-brain axis and improve your mood.
- Grape Seed Extract for reduction of perceived stress and support for all of the most common menopause symptoms
- Helps to reduce hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, and fatigue
- Balances your mood swings, irritability, restlessness, and sleeplessness
- Helps to relieve racing heart, low sex drive, bladder problems, and joint & muscle discomfort
- Contains a patented strain of probiotics that support the gut-brain axis for a better mood and outlook
- Grape seed extract can help to reduce stress
- 87% of women who take Fan Club had fewer hot flashes
- 3rd party tested and triple tested for purity
- Affordable and easy to take - just one capsule per day
- There aren’t a ton of user reviews as this is one of HUM’s newer products
- The probiotic might cause an upset stomach while your body adjusts
1st Phorm’s Harmony supplement helps females combat the hormone fluctuations that happen naturally throughout a woman’s cycle and lifetime. Harmony is a hormone-balancing supplement that is formulated to calm and even out our bodies when the chaos, stress, and hormones begin to give us hard-to-deal-with symptoms, as is the case in perimenopause.
1st Phorm takes pride in offering the highest quality supplements on the market, using only the best, clinically proven ingredients. Here’s what you’ll find inside Harmony:
- MACA Root for improving mood, energy, and sexual function.
- KSM 66 Ashwagandha Root Extract for stress reduction, improved memory, and increased energy for workouts.
- Chasteberry for progesterone stimulation, which can help relieve common perimenopause-related symptoms.
- Helps to reduce or eliminate mood swings, cramps, and tiredness
- Can help improve performance in the gym and continue to make progress toward fitness goals
- Brings hormones back to a place of homeostasis
- Helps to reduce stress and brings mental clarity
- Improved physical and emotional health
- Increased energy
- Improved skin complexion
- Great brand with a great mission
- It doesn’t directly address hot flashes and night sweats
- The cost is a tad higher than some other options
Free shipping with link below!
Use Coupon: FHM
Semain Health’s Menopause Essentials is a proverbial kick in the pants for your hormonal health. During perimenopause when your hormones feel completely out of your control, Semain is helping women everywhere to rein them back in and get back to balanced. Menopause Essentials from Semain is ideal for women who are transitioning into their next hormonal milestone or who are already in menopause.
Semain Health spends hundreds of hours pouring over all the clinical trial data available, working to understand the biological mechanisms of action, and carefully selecting each ingredient based on their findings. Plus, to ensure they are using only the highest quality ingredients, they partner with suppliers with transparent supply chains and undergo rigorous testing to ensure efficacy and safety. Here’s what you’ll find inside Menopause Essentials from Semain Health:
- Red Clover is a rich source of antioxidants and polyphenols and a high concentration of isoflavones which are very effective phytoestrogens shown to help with all kinds of menopause symptoms.
- Olive Extract is used to support healthy aging and skin.
- Bergamot Phytosome has been clinically studied to help support proper metabolism and healthy levels of lipids in your blood.
- Helps to ease your hormonal transition both physically and mentally
- Reduces hot flashes and night sweats
- Improves mood
- Promotes better sleep
- Studies have shown that 78% of users saw a reduction in depression after 3 months of use and 56% experienced a decrease in hot flashes after 2 months
- High-quality ingredients and 3rd party testing
- There aren’t a ton of users reviews yet
Use Coupon: FHM
Relizen provides dedicated relief from menopause hot flashes. This powerful, hormone-free supplement provides relief to women who are struggling with hormonal hot flashes and night sweats, allowing them to stay cool and dry.
Relizen by Bonafide has been recommended by more than 6,700 doctors and has been proven to be effective and safe thanks to its high-quality, clinically proven ingredients. This hormone-free formula contains a handful of plant-based ingredients that have been clinically studied and shown to improve common perimenopause symptoms in women. The key ingredient inside Relizen is exclusive pollen derived from four different plants grown in Sweden.
- Helps to reduce fatigue
- Calms irritability
- Improves sleep
- Relief from hot flashes and night sweats
- Recommended by more than 6,700 doctors
- Specific women’s health brand that’s making a huge impact in the space
- It’s a bit unclear what the specific ingredients are that makeup Relizen
- This supplement doesn’t address all perimenopause symptoms, it focuses mostly on hot flashes and night sweats
For 15% Off, use coupon code: GW
Happy Hormones Tonic by Zuma Nutrition presents a unique formula designed to naturally stabilize and balance your hormones. According to Zuma, not only do your hormones begin to change once you hit perimenopause, but they also get thrown out of whack even more due to stress, thyroid disorders, gut health issues, and more. This imbalance can lead to mood swings and depression, hot flashes, hormonal belly fat storage, and other concerning symptoms.
Happy Hormones contains a tonic that’s formulated with the most effective clinically studied herbs, in an active ingredient extraction form that’s designed to help every woman during this unique and transformative time. The key ingredients inside this tonic are high-quality active ingredient extracts that are completely water soluble, so they are absorbed immediately inside your bloodstream, not your digestive tract. This allows them to immediately get to work supporting your endocrine system. The following are included:
- Chasteberry extract for reduced PMS, perimenopause, and menopause symptoms while normalizing estrogen and progesterone
- Evening Primrose extract for the treatment of PMS symptoms
- Shatavari Root extract for reproductive health and physical and emotional stress
- Black Cohosh Extract for help with hormonal balance
- It’s a tonic, so no need to swallow pills or capsules
- A specialized blend of ingredients clinically proven to alleviate or improve perimenopausal symptoms
- Safe, natural, and effective
- Helps to reduce bloating and weight gain
- Reduction in irritability and mood swings
- Decreased occurrence of hot flashes
- Helps to battle fatigue
- Some women do not enjoy the taste
- The monthly cost is higher than some other options
For 15% Off, use coupon code: GW
MenoFit is a clinically-tested, natural sourced, complete menopause and perimenopause relief supplement that provides safe and effective relief for all kinds of women. This advanced, 28-ingredient supplement includes a range of probiotics, herbs, vitamins and minerals for comprehensive relief from your most nagging symptoms.
Plus, MenoFit is designed to help you manage your weight throughout your menopausal journey and beyond, making it an attractive supplement for women who are starting to feel the effects of a slower metabolism and hormonal shifts that cause belly fat gain. MenoFit packed a ton of clinically-tested ingredients into this supplement, including a probiotic blend, prebiotic blend, natural support supplements, and nutritional support supplements all in one easy-to-take capsule.
- Helps to reduce hot flashes
- Supports weight loss
- Boosts metabolism
- Balances mood
- Improves your gut and microbiome health
- Immune support
- Bone and joint support
- A female-focused brand with a line of menopause-specific products
- This formula has a lot of ingredients, some of which might not be in alignment with your symptoms or needs, so be sure to take a close look at the ingredients label
When it comes right down to it, the best perimenopause supplement is the one that works for you and your unique symptoms. We all experience womanhood and hormones differently, so what might be a good fit for you might not be for the next. The key is to dig in a bit and do your research. All of the options we listed above are highly recommended and clinically studied perimenopause relief supplements that we feel great about sharing with you.
Although transitioning to menopause and beyond can be a bit of a rocky road for most of us, that doesn’t mean that we need to suffer. Thankfully, there are amazing brands out there that are passionate about women’s health and finding safe and effective solutions for women experiencing symptoms relating to perimenopause.